Renting a House

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Hi guys. I was told by someone that to rent any house in the DR I will have to have a guarantor co sign the lease because I am not Dominican or I have to pay half a year's rent in advance. Can someone give me some feedback on this. Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unfortunately, the guarantor part is usually right, unless you know someone. As far as 6 months' rent? I don't think so, but certainly three or four, with one month going to the realtor as a commission.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unfortunately, the guarantor part is usually right, unless you know someone. As far as 6 months' rent? I don't think so, but certainly three or four, with one month going to the realtor as a commission.

HB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I just rented my house in August...what I needed was
- Guarantor ( The guarantor will need to sign the lease and also provide a form of Identification, some places may ask for the Guarantor's proof of employment)
- 1 month of commission (equal to 1 month rent)
- 2 months deposit
- Proof of income
- Identification (they used my passport)

SHALENA

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Depends where you are looking. In Barahona we didn't need guarantors but we needed 3-6 months rent. Where are you looking? I have a great place on the beach if you are interested :) Just saying.. lol

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
One time I was asked to provide the whole term (1 year) of rent if I didn't have a guarantor. I politely declined, and the place is still available for rent (7 months later).

lumiere987

Jul 4, 2007
I have a villa for rent in Juan Dolio, I require 3 months upfront. That' s the way I rented in the past.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
We have never used a guarantor. One time they asked for a reference. We always had to pay 2 months deposit, and the first months rent up front. We never used a realtor.

BelgianK

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It varies by the "So-Called Lawyer" doing the "DEAL"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I first arrived here to live,17 years ago, i rented for 1 year.
I had no guarantor.
I did make a 3 month deposit with the lawyer.
I did not pay rent for the last 3 months, a MUST here, as it is very doubtful you will ever see your deposit again!
The lawyer told me I owed 3 months rent.
I told the lawyer that's great, you owe ME 3 months security deposit!
We both, "Walked"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"No Harm, No Foul"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND,congratulations,you are renting, and NOT, Buying!!!!!!!!!!!
You will never regret that decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcc
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
The law is you never get your deposit back ......... You don't pay rent until you have it back ... Unless you have damaged the property ........

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
It varies by the "So-Called Lawyer" doing the "DEAL"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I first arrived here to live,17 years ago, i rented for 1 year.
I had no guarantor.
I did make a 3 month deposit with the lawyer.
I did not pay rent for the last 3 months, a MUST here, as it is very doubtful you will ever see your deposit again!
The lawyer told me I owed 3 months rent.
I told the lawyer that's great, you owe ME 3 months security deposit!
We both, "Walked"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"No Harm, No Foul"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND,congratulations,you are renting, and NOT, Buying!!!!!!!!!!!
You will never regret that decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcc
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hey CCCC, yeah I am actually going to do what you did and rent for about a year before making a decision to buy or not.

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
It all depends on who is doing the renting - if you are dealing with the owner directly or a representative. But, prepay of 6 months or so should help you get around the guarantor clause.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
I live very part time in villa mella. I have been involved in 3 rentals this year. What is required is as varied as bathroom fixtures and air circulation! All 3 required 3 months.

First one required my wife's brother to sign as guarantor as he is Dominican and working. I was unemployed at the time and my wife attends uni and tends the family colmado so her income is as much about family duty as dinero. We (wife and I) were named on the contract but bro lived in the second bedroom.

The second required a credit check of said brother as guarantor (after bro kicked us out of apt #1 because bro decided to "marry" and have move into apt # 1 the one chica of his many chicas that had inserted a "screwdriver de celoso" into his left bicep last nov in front of my wife). Needless to say my wife made life miserable for her brother over his choice of non legal wedded soucia. But family is family and he offered to be our guarantor ....funny guy, ....although working, his credit reeked even by RD standards....no apt # 2. Too many blackberries as regalos for all his chicas I guess....no it's not just a sanky sankette thing.

Apt # 3 required 3 months but just a signature by my wife and her gringo, and a copy of gringos (I am working again) US paystub. Beautiful spot...3 stories up on a hill, windows facing all directions, 24 / 7 minus 12 / 7 electric along with full plumbing single faucet hot and cold running water...(the water feels warm when I am sweating). All for less a month than dinner for 3 at Adrian Tropical downtown. Good times, but whacky rental procedures.