Why Haiti mires in poverty while the Dominican Republic forges ahead

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Below is a link to a recent SCHOLARLY paper written by some researchers at Utrecht University (Netherlands) on the different development paths taken by the DR and Haiti.

Notice that it is a research paper (not a popular magazine article)...if you are not used to such reading you may find it hard to read...Anyway...here is the abstract, and then a link:

An Island Drifting Apart: Why Haiti mires in poverty while the Dominican Republic forges ahead
Ewout Frankema and Aline Mas?
Utrecht University, January 2011
Abstract
The Haitian earthquake of January 2010 has revealed the extreme vulnerability of people living in a
society where the economy and the state simultaneously fail to deliver. This study focuses on the
historical roots of the Haitian tragedy and the striking welfare contrast with the neighboring
Dominican Republic. We use the theory of violence and social orders by North, Wallis and Weingast
(2009) to explain why the political elites of both countries behaved differently with respect to
economic, political and institutional reform in the late 19th century. We extend the theoretical framework arguing that the compounding hostilities between Haiti and the Dominican Republic in the early 19th century have deepened the existing political, social and cultural cleavages and, in turn, have induced different strategic concerns and a disparate process of national identity formation, which have aggravated the depth and persistence of their unequal development patterns.

click:
http://vkc.library.uu.nl/vkc/seh/research/Lists/Working%20Papers/Attachments/60/An%20Island%20Drifting%20Apart.19.01.pdf

May 29, 2006
At least they referenced Jared Diamond. But to pin the collapse of the sugar market on the Duvaliers is simplifying the problem. There was a time when the DR was a net sugar importer as well. It's a sad fact, but there was more food security under the Duvaliers than there is today.

Way too much history prior to the Duvaliers.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
An abstract is public domain, no need to quote but reference should be provided to the authors.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I read about half and saw a few things I could take issue with and a couple of poor editing glitches, but on the whole, it is an interesting read and certainly worthy of use in my classes. One of its best aspects is that there are very few inferences bases on racial ideals...

I'd say
Read it.

HB