SCUBA Expert in Hispanola

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've done my searches and haven't really found the answer I'm looking for...if it exists.

I am looking for the person(s) regarded as the top expert(s) on all manner of SCUBA diving on the entire island: wrecks, reefs and (especially) caves.

Any names, websites, email addresses and phone numbers greatly appreciated, public or PM.

Thanks!

Robert

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Google search on John Chatterton. I don't think he's a cavediver but probably the top wreck diver world wide and is (used to be) a partner in Pirates Cove in Samana (not sure if the business is still open, can't find their website anymore).

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Hey, CB, you interested in hi risk behavior you found it with cave diving. It is so dangerous that every so often experts with years of experience and world wide reputations drown. If one combines living in the DR (drive at night very often?) and cave diving the odds of a long life are not good. I always enjoyed reading your posts- gonna miss ya!

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I've done my searches and haven't really found the answer I'm looking for...if it exists.

I am looking for the person(s) regarded as the top expert(s) on all manner of SCUBA diving on the entire island: wrecks, reefs and (especially) caves.

Any names, websites, email addresses and phone numbers greatly appreciated, public or PM.

Thanks!

Robert

CB you should contact Dr Ruben Torres, he is the Reef Check person in the DR and probably one of the country?s leading underwater experts - contact details:

Prol. Fantino Falco #5, Ens. Piantini

Santo Domingo, Rep?blica Dominicana

Tel/ Fax (809) 227-4409

info@reefcheckdr.org
Web: Reef Check Dominican Republic

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Does that mean cave diving after dark is a double no-no??

Or is that no-no-no-no.....????????

Actually I think that raises your safety factor. You're reducing your risk factors, since there aren't any moto conchos in underwater caves... or are there??? LOL

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I did my first dive in a huge sinkhole in N Central FL. My second dive was in a long cave in a tributary of the Suwanee River in the same area. This was in '68 when equipment was nothing like it is today. Hack back then two-stage regulators and J-valves were hot new items.

I think I wrote about the ride home in my "Death of the V-8" thread...;)