Santiago bilingual/english schools

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Are there any private schools that are bilingual or fully english that are affordable? SCS is way out of my budget and I would love to find something bilingual or fully english for my kids.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
St. David School is an English Language school. I think tuition is around 10,000 pesos a month. Teachers are mostly native speakers and certified.
There is also New Horizons, and a couple of other places that are not really worth talking about.

HB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Don't know about now but in 2008 the staff of Colegio Dominicano (including the Director) was giving me a tour and information on the school speaking to me in English. I could not understand them because it was so bad, I ended up asking them to speak to me in Spanish.

SHALENA

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Don't know about now but in 2008 the staff of Colegio Dominicano (including the Director) was giving me a tour and information on the school speaking to me in English. I could not understand them because it was so bad, I ended up asking them to speak to me in Spanish.

SHALENA

That's unfortunate, at these prices I'm just going to send my kids to spanish school and teach them English at home with the rosetta stone and other tools I have access too.. 3 kids is like 700-800$ a month, I can't justify spending that on school unfortunately.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
That's unfortunate, at these prices I'm just going to send my kids to spanish school and teach them English at home with the rosetta stone and other tools I have access too.. 3 kids is like 700-800$ a month, I can't justify spending that on school unfortunately.

It's expensive. I would recommend and English institute as opposed to the Rosetta Stone. As "La teacher" about the one's she recommends. BTW, my daughter go to a typical colegio here.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I have very good experiences of OyM Hostos School in Santiago. Very good completely bilingual teachers, small classes and very good dicipline over all in the school. Dicipline, something the kids need here... :) 5500-6000 pesos a month.

Having your kids in a Public school or some cheap private religious schools NOT a good alternative IMHO.

Last edited:

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
It's expensive. I would recommend and English institute as opposed to the Rosetta Stone. As "La teacher" about the one's she recommends. BTW, my daughter go to a typical colegio here.

Ah, like one of those extra schools you can go in addition to normal colegio, good idea..

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I have good experiences of OyM Hostos School in Santiago. Very good completely bilingual teachers, small classes and very good diciipline over all in the school. Dicipline, something the kids need here... :) 5500-6000 pesos a month.

Having your kids in a Public school or some cheap private religious schools NOT a good alternative IMHO.

Yea that price is a little closer to reality for me, I'll look into it, thanks.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
It maybe not a good alternative for those who can afford it, but what about those who can't?

Maybe we can make up for it by educating our kids at home as much as we can, we can't all afford some of the prices of private schools unfortunately :(

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I have very good experiences of OyM Hostos School in Santiago. Very good completely bilingual teachers, small classes and very good dicipline over all in the school. Dicipline, something the kids need here... :) 5500-6000 pesos a month.

My kids went to O y M in 2008 our first year in Santiago. My daughter (9th grade at the time and very studious) told me that the work she was doing she did in 7th grade. I decided to take them out when my son (5 years old at the time) came home with some sentences to copy for English class and one of the sentences was
"The ball is my"

Really?
I took them out after that. It was kindergarten, not rocket science.

SHALENA

My kids now go to a private Dominican colegio supplemented with sala de tarea and English at home.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
My kids went to O y M in 2008 our first year in Santiago. My daughter (9th grade at the time and very studious) told me that the work she was doing she did in 7th grade. I decided to take them out when my son (5 years old at the time) came home with some sentences to copy for English class and one of the sentences was
"The ball is my"

Really?

SHALENA

My kids now go to a private Dominican colegio supplemented with sala de tarea and English at home.

Can you recommend the colegio they go to now with a price for reference? I'm trying to come up with somewhat of a budget and I'm not even sure 3-5k pesos is enough per student monthly.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Can you recommend the colegio they go to now with a price for reference? I'm trying to come up with somewhat of a budget and I'm not even sure 3-5k pesos is enough per student monthly.

My kids go to the colegio Padre Emiliano Tardif. One is in 8th grade and one in 4th grade. I pay 3,900rd for the both of them (2,000rd for 8th grade, and 1,900rd for 4th grade). I have both of their teachers' home and cell numbers.
The sala de tarea is separate and is 1,000rd monthly each.

SHALENA

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
"The ball is my"

Really?

SHALENA

Well my experience is for the 7-9 years old... And it has been great so far.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
My kids go to the colegio Padre Emiliano Tardif. One is in 8th grade and one in 4th grade. I pay 3,900rd for the both of them (2,000rd for 8th grade, and 1,900rd for 4th grade). I have both of their teachers' home and cell numbers.
The sala de tarea is separate and is 1,000rd monthly each.

SHALENA

How great... You get a much better school and only pay 1/3 of the price... :alien:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you take the decision to send your 3 (gulp!) children to one of the better local "colegios" that limits your choices:
1) The elite--Da Vinci, Juan XXIII (on PUCMM campus), La Salle, Sagrado Corazon and Colegio Dominicano

2) The no-so-elite: Colegio Evangelico, Padre Fortin

3) The "forgetaboutit" group = all the rest. Which is not to say that some of these won't work. You just need to be more careful.

4) I noticed that "extra" was also on the table--there are places called "Sala de Tareas" and an some very good English schools around (EFI- Dominico-Americano-JFK etc)...

One interesting thing is that the "Elite" group and the "Not-so-elite" are all located along the same roadway: Juan Pablo Duarte (with the obvious exception of the Juan XXIII on the PUCMM campus). Colegio Dominicano is on the old highway to Moca, about 15 minutes (little or no traffic) from center city. Da Vinci is located on the road to Don Pedro (going to the left at the traffic circle at the eastern edge of Santiago-across from the Bulevard Plaza--which is parallel to the old Duarte Highway.
Then you have Padre Fortin--close to the Materno-Infantil Clinic; Colegio Evangelico--across the street from the Ayuntamiento; La Salle, and the Sagrado Corazon.

Pick one. I like the results I see from Da Vinci and La Salle, which are 12 year schools + pre-school, so you get kids that have been fairly well trained all through one school's system. None of them are particularly "religious", with Da Vinci being the most non-sectarian and the Evangelico, obviously, a bit more centered on religion. Colegio Dominicano is also fairly non-sectarian, although the founder is a former priest. (And one of my favorite students, all time, is from there, so they can produce good product).

HB

Last edited: