Need help making a choice.. house or apartment

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
So, my wife and I are moving to Santiago to be closer to our family in La Vega (but not too close hehe).. I am planning on renting either a house or an apartment, we've looked around for a couple days and so far have found one apartment we really liked behind La Sirena (embrujo I).. My issue is that we are trying to figure out if renting a house in Santiago is a good idea since we don't really know a ton of people there and think safety is a concern.. What are your guys opinions on renting an apartment vs a house, here are some of mine,

Apartment :: Pros
Safety
Neighbors you know
Most have alarm systems
Watchiman
Some have generators
maintenance / cleanliness of outside of building is covered in rent

House :: Pros
I can have my own smoker/barbecue
Washing car at home, maybe have a small yard to play in
General sense of privacy
I feel like cost of comparable houses are lower than apartments (hard to understand)
Not having to go up/down multiple flights of stairs (The place we found in embrujo was on the third floor so it's quite a bit for 2 kids and my wife.

Let me know what you guys think and like always thanks for your advice!

Apr 13, 2011
Apartment:: Cons
Neighbors you might not want to know (possibility of a bad, or just annoying, neighbor within the apartment complex)
Maintenance Fees never seem to cover when something breaks on property, so the renters have to chip in more to fix things
Watchiman needs severance pay if the renters replace him
Renters pay the Christmas 13th Month payment for Watchiman (and any other Property workers)
Landlord can have a "move out" clause in the contract if they sell the unit you are renting

House:: Cons
All maintenance and repair are your costs alone
Landlord may have a "move out" clause in the contract if they sell the house you are renting

Personally, I like the house option better, if you find a decent place with a decent landlord.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Apartment:: Cons
Neighbors you might not want to know (possibility of a bad, or just annoying, neighbor within the apartment complex)
Maintenance Fees never seem to cover when something breaks on property, so the renters have to chip in more to fix things
Watchiman needs severance pay if the renters replace him
Renters pay the Christmas 13th Month payment for Watchiman (and any other Property workers)
Landlord can have a "move out" clause in the contract if they sell the unit you are renting

House:: Cons
All maintenance and repair are your costs alone
Landlord may have a "move out" clause in the contract if they sell the house you are renting

Personally, I like the house option better, if you find a decent place with a decent landlord.

Whoa didn't think about the severance and the 13th month, thanks for that info MJ!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I guess a lot depends on your budget. On a year's lease you could probably get a great furnished place for maybe US$1000 a month with generator, electronic access, elevator (I hate stairs nowadays), and other bells and whistles. But it is totally furnished, which is probably not something you need at this time...just saying.

A house leaves you more exposed, there is far greater protection in an apartment complex or building.

You might want to talk to Chip, and see what is available in his area, which is considered to be safe and where prices are more reasonable. I assume you do not need to worry about transportation? You will have a vehicle?

A lot will revolve around the schools you choose also. Which the most convenient location with the housing you need to have with three children? That might be the biggest thing to answer. You do not need to spend four hours a day in traffic getting and retrieving your children from school.

El Embrujo? M?s o menos est? bien, con una poblaci?n generalmente j?ven...con ni?os tambi?n...

Good luck...

HB

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
I have been having the same debate. House vs. Apt. I definitely think apts are safer. And, this is the DR, I would think you could BBQ on your balcony without too much trouble. Houses are larger. You will need more AC, more batteries, and to secure a larger area. But, I am having the same debate. Still not sure.