Lobster in Punta Cana

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Just me again.....trying to gather as much info as I can.
In 2006 when I stayed in Cabarete, and we ate out,,,,when we ordered lobster.....ONCE and only once,,,we got something that was so small,,,had no taste, etc. Not at all like lobster we would get in Mexico, St.Maartin, etc. Someone told me not to order lobster in D.R. especially on north side,,,,something about the "kind" of lobster??? Like I said, it was in 2006,,,and I am not getting any younger (lol),,,,can someone give me the goods on lobster in the D.R.? While in Punta Cana, if we leave resort to eat somewhere,,,is it possible to have a good lobster meal somewhere?? AGain, appreciate any comments. Thanks!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you are used to eating Maine Lobster you won't like what you get here. I guess the Jellyfish Restaurant would have Lobster in a nice setting if you must try.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Just me again.....trying to gather as much info as I can.
In 2006 when I stayed in Cabarete, and we ate out,,,,when we ordered lobster.....ONCE and only once,,,we got something that was so small,,,had no taste, etc. Not at all like lobster we would get in Mexico, St.Maartin, etc. Someone told me not to order lobster in D.R. especially on north side,,,,something about the "kind" of lobster??? Like I said, it was in 2006,,,and I am not getting any younger (lol),,,,can someone give me the goods on lobster in the D.R.? While in Punta Cana, if we leave resort to eat somewhere,,,is it possible to have a good lobster meal somewhere?? AGain, appreciate any comments. Thanks!

If I was you, screw the Lobsta,

GO WITH RICE&BEANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Maine Lobster (found up North, with the big claws) is better tasting than Caribbean Spiny Lobster (found in the Florida Keys, Bahamas, Caribbean etc - without claws and spiny), but if prepared right, its still very good.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
As par Dom style everything is over cooked . When cooking spiny lobster you have to be spot on 2 or 3 min in either direction and it is ruined .

Feb 7, 2007
I recommend you to take a trip to Higuey, MARISCOS LA DELICIA is a great restaurant and a former Captain Cook chef is a chef there.

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
Also down on the beach at MACAU..... Go to one of the beach side restaurants and negotiate your price while looking at a big Spiny Caribbean Lobster..(much better tasting than a New England lobster). They split and roast them over a grill... w/ butter and garlic... Possibly 20 dollars for a real nice 2+ pounder...

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Also down on the beach at MACAU..... Go to one of the beach side restaurants and negotiate your price while looking at a big Spiny Caribbean Lobster..(much better tasting than a New England lobster). They split and roast them over a grill... w/ butter and garlic... Possibly 20 dollars for a real nice 2+ pounder...

Ya ok, and then you woke up........

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Since Sam is new we might excuse him.Maybe his misguided comment about Maine lobster was based only only having it at a dreadful Red Lobster chain restaurant. Certainly if he had eaten the real deal his opinion would be different!

Last edited:

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
Ya ok, and then you woke up........
I was there 2 months ago and it cost us approx $20.00 each for fried grouper and lobster.

Also was in Luperon 2 weeks ago and we want to Playa Esperanza and got 2 lobsters and plantains and Beers for $700.00 pesos...

U guys got something against Spiny Lobsters???

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
Since Sam is new we might excuse him.Maybe his misguided comment about Maine lobster was based only only having it at a dreadful Red Lobster chain restaurant. Certainly if he had eaten the real deal his opinion would be different!
Ha Ha Ha... Having grown up in the Bahamas and Virgin Islands... I am Partial to Florida Lobsters... I actually had a Maine Lobster BLT the other day and it was good.. I have never been to Red Lobster.. And have buddies from Maine. and have eaten fresh Maine lobsters.... They are sweet and good... I just prefer Fla. Lobster w/ butter and Garlic....:)

mainegal

May 22, 2012
Sorry to inform you but, there isn't any better tasting lobster than a Maine Lobster, anywhere in the world. I just had a lobster roll for lunch and 2 boiled lobsters for dinner on Sunday. YUMM! :cheeky:

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Sorry to inform you but, there isn't any better tasting lobster than a Maine Lobster, anywhere in the world. I just had a lobster roll for lunch and 2 boiled lobsters for dinner on Sunday. YUMM! :cheeky:

I'm on my way right now,

For lunch in Gloucester MA for some Lobsta pie, and Fish chowda!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
sorry to inform you but, there isn't any better tasting lobster than a maine lobster, anywhere in the world. I just had a lobster roll for lunch and 2 boiled lobsters for dinner on sunday. Yumm! :cheeky:

agreed!!!!!!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
From an expert... a list of my favorites...

1. Maine Lobster. Loads of meat, and delicious.
2. Norwegian Lobster. A close second, but less meat in the tail. The claws and legs are the best part.
3. Carribean Lobster. A lot sweeter than the 2 above, and needs different preparation.
4. Lobster on the NC. I still love it, because of the price. Make sure it is freshly caught and not frozen.

BelgianK

dondada

Aug 20, 2008
New Orleans - Louisiana
On the beach next to Ocean Blue Resort are gift shops. Behind Mamajuana Liquor Store is a restaurant. Most of the people that work at the gift shops eat at the restaurant. I had lobster there on October 2nd. They may not have lobster everyday and you need to negotiate the price. They serve other local foods and Presidente!

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Ok,,,is Ocean Blue Resort near Occidental Grand punta cana?? Is the Mamjuana liquor store also? If so, I will seek it out.
As I said before, I had lobster (not sure which kind) in Cabarete,,,,it was a total rip off...very very expensive,,,and honestly, and I dont bull****,,,,the lobster tail - meat section, was the size of my thumb. I was outraged,,,and to boot, it tasted like rubber. Not sweet,,,just yuk. I love the lobster we eat in St.Maartins,,,,or on the East coast of Canada. If in fact I can find this restaurant, I would give it another shot. Guess I would just ask a bunch of questions before ordering. Thanks for all your comments.