so i just got back from trip Sosua...

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
and honestly don't know what people see in that place.... The beach is dirty, small and overcrowded, lot of girls in desperation and sadness in their eyes, lot of stray dogs, crazy amount of motoconchos (constant noise) and so on....Cabarete is much much better IMHO

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
and honestly don't know what people see in that place.... The beach is dirty, small and overcrowded, lot of girls in desperation and sadness in their eyes, lot of stray dogs, crazy amount of motoconchos (constant noise) and so on....Cabarete is much much better IMHO

Thanks for your positive comments, we need more people like you on dr1!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not like sosua much. never seen the appeal of the beach. and pedro clisante is dirty, noisy and ugly. but sosua is way more than that. residential communities up the hills or further towards cabarete are really nice, with stunning views. the german butcher and german bakery alone are worth the drive. so while i would not want to live there i like to visit from time to time, just for a spot of shopping or to meet people who live there.
as far as putas, dogs and motos: that's not really different from many other towns here, especially dogs and motos part :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't know. Perhaps I am immune to that. I was at the beach a couple of years ago, and two young folks that I took up there on Saturday loved it. And they are not rookie travelers either.

I suppose it can be a bit hectic.

But you know? Like DV8 says, there are some beautiful places there...

HB

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
If one seeks peace, tranquility and sophistication go to Bermuda. If one seeks "PIECE" availability and debauchery go to Sosua.

Sep 4, 2012
as far as putas, dogs and motos: that's not really different from many other towns here, especially dogs and motos part :)

Don't know about the first but is nearly impossible to do anything in the interior towns with all of the motoconchos and dogs. Try to go to sleep with the noise they both create around the barrios.

Aug 21, 2007
Sosua can be heaven or hell. Depends on where you stay, what your reasons for being there are, and what you do.

If you are there for women and night life, then the beach, moto conches, and noise can be everything you came there for. You will be happy and your budget does not need to be maxed.

If you want a different type of vacation, then you need to know where to book your accommodations with private beaches for relaxation and privacy, and what to do at night.

Those who come without researching the area thoroughly to learn if their particular vacation needs and interests can be met are bound to be in for a disappointment.

Do know that the private beaches and better accommodations come at a price. If your budget doesn't allow it and that is what you want, then perhaps another vacation location is better for you.

Lindsey

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Don't know about the first but is nearly impossible to do anything in the interior towns with all of the motoconchos and dogs. Try to go to sleep with the noise they both create around the barrios.

i lived in a barrio for about a year. i am fine with motos and dogs. it took people to flip me to the evil side: shouting, music, neighbours selling drugs...

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
U should have gone to "la playita"(Casa marina beach), right next to Sosua's public beach, very quiet, clean, and just as beautiful, tho it is considerably smaller.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
U should have gone to "la playita"(Casa marina beach), right next to Sosua's public beach, very quiet, clean, and just as beautiful, tho it is considerably smaller.

i went to cabarete...it was OK....anyway as for beaches Thailand is #1 in my book.... local people don't put that much trash on sand like in DR....another sad thing ;]

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Curious - were you aware you were coming to a third world country? What were you expectations? How long were you here for?

Not sure what day of the week you went to the beach, but unless it was on a Sunday, the beach is always extremely clean. It's by far my favourite beach. I'm not a fan of Cabarete beach. As for the dogs....Sosua dogs are well taken care of by an association called AAAS. Yes the motoconchos are a pain in the ass, but it is their culture. If you only frequented the beach and the bars, than you missed out on the beautiful countryside and what this country really has to offer. Sosua is a unique beach town, which is why so many expats choose it.

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
I can tell u've never been to Bahias de las aguilas, Terrenas, Playa Grande, etc etc...Sosua is just 1 beach :p

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
SOSUA has always had the possibility of being a really cool place and in the late 80s , over 20 years back it was somewhat , However it went truly south , and never has had good business management . it's been pot luck ! Some years terrible , others okay ! cabarete has had a good Business association for years and its developed decently for such a small little area . and follow the money it's been developed decently ... Exception the Current political figure there that could use three Silver . bullets in his cajones where his brain used to be if he ever had one ! Medina was there and the big story ie FRANK LOL was him using the throne , and didn't have a Royal flush ! SOSUA ? Central sux , you have to live on the edge of it , and come to cabarete when you want to bitch oops Beach ! rocky knows what he is talking about! he never recommended Sosewer Central

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
I spent around year in "so-called" third world countries...Some of people in there can even respect the beauty of beach and not put trash in it...ie: in Thailand.
I'm not complaining on the standards that much...I'm just shocked that people- tourists, expats- recommend Sosua as place to stay while for me it's nothing more than sadness and despair there :) And I'm not talking about dogs and motoconchos ;]
next time i will visit seaside and countryside with my own motorbike, it's much more useful...and you are free to go wherever you like quickly :)
Curious - were you aware you were coming to a third world country? What were you expectations? How long were you here for?

Not sure what day of the week you went to the beach, but unless it was on a Sunday, the beach is always extremely clean. It's by far my favourite beach. I'm not a fan of Cabarete beach. As for the dogs....Sosua dogs are well taken care of by an association called AAAS. Yes the motoconchos are a pain in the ass, but it is their culture. If you only frequented the beach and the bars, than you missed out on the beautiful countryside and what this country really has to offer. Sosua is a unique beach town, which is why so many expats choose it.

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
I would guess that the OP came on a Saturday when the beach would have been more crowded and dirtier than usual due to the influx of buses from Santiago

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
I would guess that the OP came on a Saturday when the beach would have been more crowded and dirtier than usual due to the influx of buses from Santiago

exactly, i came on Sunday (Monday was holiday for many, so it was like Saturday) and even on bus from Santiago ;-)