Anyone hear about DR nationwide tax protest/riot planned for Nov 6th?

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Got an email saying the following:
"Nation wide riots Tues against raising taxes on everything, Expected riots in the streets- rocks thrown at cars on hiighways, burning tires and gunfire expected"

So searched online and found no news about this......anyone here know anything?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo is going on a business trip down south and he says he does not expect much of a mess. apparently there are hardly any protests after long weekends, presumably because of extended hangovers :)
i kinda agree. there may be some tires burning and few stones thrown but i don't see it turning into something bad.

Sep 4, 2012
there may be some tires burning and few stones thrown but i don't see it turning into something bad.

Anyone that has been in the DR for awhile would know that this is not a show stopper. "quemando gomas" = life goes on.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Anyone that has been in the DR for awhile would know that this is not a show stopper. "quemando gomas" = life goes on.

That's an oversimplification.
There are times and places when it's a very bad idea to be out on the streets during a huelga.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There are definitely places where you DO NOT want to go through during a strike.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, CB, plenty of those. but those happen to be the same places most of dr1ers would not visit even on the most peaceful day...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
miesposo is going on a business trip down south and he says he does not expect much of a mess. apparently there are hardly any protests after long weekends, presumably because of extended hangovers :)
i kinda agree. there may be some tires burning and few stones thrown but i don't see it turning into something bad.

In spite of what the news says or doesn't say regarding advertised strikes one needs to stay out of the hotspots that have a reputation such as Licey or Navarrete. As your husband is Dominican he should know these areas.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
he is going to SD. the only problem areas i can see are those places close to SD: pedro brant, piedra blanca, villa altagracia. he will be passing those after midday, it should be fine. and he is no fool: last time there was a huelga on his business trip he turned back and came home a day earlier. no need to risk.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
he is going to SD. the only problem areas i can see are those places close to SD: pedro brant, piedra blanca, villa altagracia. he will be passing those after midday, it should be fine. and he is no fool: last time there was a huelga on his business trip he turned back and came home a day earlier. no need to risk.

Tell him that the Carr. Turistica is in decent shape now just in case. I've traveled it at least 4 times in the last month or so.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks, chip. i told him. hopefully things work well.
but i think many people will be nursing their headaches after all the partying :) hammering in the head does not make one want to go out and burn a zafacon... :)

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
Some parents actually kept their kids at home today. I had more absences than the norm today in all my classes. As far as I can tell nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. If anything the streets seemed more quiet. Maybe I'm just not in the chaotic area.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Some parents actually kept their kids at home today. I had more absences than the norm today in all my classes. As far as I can tell nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. If anything the streets seemed more quiet. Maybe I'm just not in the chaotic area.

Or all the military stationed at random locations on all major highways and business locations.