Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone hear about DR nationwide tax protest/riot planned for Nov 6th?

Got an email saying the following:
    "Nation wide riots Tues against raising taxes on everything, Expected riots in the streets- rocks thrown at cars on hiighways, burning tires and gunfire expected"

So searched online and found no news about this......anyone here know anything?

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

who sent you that email ?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by curious29 View Post
    who sent you that email ?
    a friend who lives in the DR....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Also info here...
    sacandomelao: Ratifican llamado a protestas contra el paquetazo y la corrupción which among other things indicates that there's support from the transport unions in the northern part of the country and that police are taking precautionary measures.

It wouldn't surprise me if this attempt fizzled... but I would not be surprised to have one or more well organized strikes in the future.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

miesposo is going on a business trip down south and he says he does not expect much of a mess. apparently there are hardly any protests after long weekends, presumably because of extended hangovers
    i kinda agree. there may be some tires burning and few stones thrown but i don't see it turning into something bad.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    there may be some tires burning and few stones thrown but i don't see it turning into something bad.
    Anyone that has been in the DR for awhile would know that this is not a show stopper. "quemando gomas" = life goes on.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing you well View Post
    Anyone that has been in the DR for awhile would know that this is not a show stopper. "quemando gomas" = life goes on.
    That's an oversimplification.
    There are times and places when it's a very bad idea to be out on the streets during a huelga.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This country needs a railway system ....... The technology is only 200 years old ......

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This country needs a railway system ....... The technology is only 200 years old ......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast