Ripped off by Banco Popular at Boca Chica.......AGAIN

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I don't normally use the ATMs in Boca Chica when I do day trips there and, if I have to, I use the BanReserva branch because I have been ripped off before by Banco Popular. With today being one of those Monday holidays the BanReserva ATMs were out of money (long weekend) so I decided to try Banco Popular. I watched as the person ahead of me was successful withdrawing cash so I gave it a try. The machine went through the motions and told me to take my card and take my cash. I got the card back but no cash. Checked my account later and it was debited for the cash. I have had it with Banco Popular in general and with the branch in Boca Chica in particular. Never again!! My warning is DON'T USE BANCO POPULAR ATMs IN BOCA CHICA when the office is closed.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
You might have been scammed by someone outside the bank. Maybe even the guy in front of you.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
haha call your home bank and they refund you instantly, no big deal, happens like 1/10 times at banco popular atms

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Thanks that has not happened to me yet as I'd be very mad. I'd keep this on mind and try to avoid BP ATM's.

This is what happens when the ATM runs out of money, contrary to the belief that the ATM gives an "error". The "errors" that the ATM gives means there is a communication issue between the ATM and the BP HQ. I experience this issue like 3-4 times a month so I have learned to deal with it quite well, 5 min phone call to wells fargo, they reverse it, and it goes into verification with BP here who always tell them what happened so I keep the money.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Happend to me twice last year with BP in Sosua. Not even at the ATM, but at the counter when withdrawing with my creditcard and pass. Noticed it back at home, got refunded from my bank with no problems. So be very careful with BP !

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
Banks always ripped off their clients in one way or another,this is just one way. In thousands of cases there are some people who did not complain,so the money is lost to the banking system.
Already happened to me once, with small amount so not worth spending money on calls to my bank in Portugal,because the call would be more expensive than the value lost :(
Live and learn

JT

dropshort

May 18, 2008
I know the manager at the Banco Popular in Boca Chica personally. He is best bank manager I have ever encountered anywhere including the US and Canada. I have never been scammed by any bank in the Dominican Republic. I NEVER USE AN ATM ANYWHERE!!!
I pay cash everywhere. It means I have to plan how I use money.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Before Dominicass steps in....

There are Five HUGE!!! Banks in USA that have ripped off the people for trillions of dollars and they continue pretty much unscathed.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
This has also happened to me several time. It seems it should be simple to set something up were the ATM will automatically shut down when out of money and/or give a message that it's unavailable, but no. Instead they allow you to go through the whole process with no money given but they take the money out of your account until you are able to resolve the issue. For me this involved filling out paperwork in the U.S. to dispute the charge. It's a royal pain in the butt and just another one of those Dominican things. I'd be curious to know if ATM's in the US do the same, but I've never found a machine out of money in the US.

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
This has also happened to me several time. It seems it should be simple to set something up were the ATM will automatically shut down when out of money and/or give a message that it's unavailable, but no. Instead they allow you to go through the whole process with no money given but they take the money out of your account until you are able to resolve the issue. For me this involved filling out paperwork in the U.S. to dispute the charge. It's a royal pain in the butt and just another one of those Dominican things. I'd be curious to know if ATM's in the US do the same, but I've never found a machine out of money in the US.

In the United States I don't know, but it happens several times in Europe,however the machines when there is no money available,there is a information on the screen

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I know the manager at the Banco Popular in Boca Chica personally. He is best bank manager I have ever encountered anywhere including the US and Canada. I have never been scammed by any bank in the Dominican Republic. I NEVER USE AN ATM ANYWHERE!!!
I pay cash everywhere. It means I have to plan how I use money.

If you pay cash everywhere but never use an ATM anywhere, you must either keep your money under the mattress at home or be one of the long, long queues inside the bank. That's fine if there are enough hours in the day for you!:)

WILLIAN60

Jul 23, 2010
Also, my Bank of America card was detained by an ATM because I did not inform BofA that I would be using it outide of he US. And be mindful of the physical limits of the ATM. I withdrew a moderate amount, $500USD, and the ATM could not handle the size of the stack of small denomination pesos. I fought to get about half of the stack, and the ATM ate the other half. I was lucky that my fingertips were not caught in the retracting mechanism. The BP manager confirmed the malfuncion, but stated that I must take the matter up with Bank of America. She also explained that the location, BP at the Jumbo in San Pedro, has two ATMs, one intended for 'large' withdrawals. She was way too pretty and professional to argue with, so I just considered it as another lesson learned. Got my money in to weeks, exactly as she described.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I don't think it is safe to assume a bank tries to pull this kind of things off just to make a little money on the side. It might be a system error, it might be a fraud by some crooks waiting for gringos to use the ATM, but I cannot believe this is a rip-off.

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
In general I find the Banco Popular one of the most reliable banks. Your money is not lost. Just contact your own bank and they will rstore the funds. It is annoying but the money is not lost.
Let me tell a story about the Banco de Reservas. One evening a few years ago a wealthy friend visiting from Colorado ran out of money. We went to the BdR to replenish his finances. Not only did no money come out of the ATM but the card did not come out either. The next day we went to the Bank to retrieve the card. It could not be found. We spoke to the manager who shrugged her shoulders and said "You were probably drunk last night and went to another bank". So much for customer service at the Banco de Reservas.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
so it seems that I was lucky enough with my bank that I got my money back the same day in such situation....i would be very angry if i had to wait for it for 2 weeks

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
When I read this thread title my heart dropped! This past Saturday I went to that ATM and took out 5000 pesos. When the machine produced the money I grabbed my wallet - preparing to take the money and put it in my wallet. The machine literally sucked the money back in before I could get it! I know the machine was not broken because I desperately needed money and I used it again right after. I called my bank yesterday and they told me I have to dispute with Popular first. JUST WOW!