Casa de Caoba

May 12, 2005
Trujillo's house in San Cristobal, is it still open to the public? I know at one time it was run as sort of a museum.

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
Trujillo's house

Trujillo's house in San Cristobal, is it still open to the public? I know at one time it was run as sort of a museum.
Frank.. I am sure you have found the answer as your post is old..... In my roaming around the forum I have seen pic's of some of the Cars there etc. So I am assuming it is open.. I plan on going that way soon... Any updates???

May 12, 2005
Frank.. I am sure you have found the answer as your post is old..... In my roaming around the forum I have seen pic's of some of the Cars there etc. So I am assuming it is open.. I plan on going that way soon... Any updates???

Some of his cars are located at the Camp David Ranch Hotel in Santiago. As far as my OP, I have not gotten any response.

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
Thx... Well I will search it out when I head that way.. I have a friend whose Family has a Finca in San Cristobal and will try to get the skinny....

Last edited:

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
You can walk up the hill and visit the house any time you want. The guard doesn't even care any more. The house is in fairly bad shape. There was talk a couple of years ago about turning it into a museum, but the idea was nixed.

As you arrive at San Cristobal on the carretera, take the exit that goes AWAY from San Cristobal. Then ask directions. While there, I recommend you also visit the Cuevas Pomier. Take your own flashlights, as the wires for the lights in the caves was stolen.

Sep 20, 2003
I went there in 2006. The place is in ruins. A teenage boy lived there with his little brother. They were guards at the time. I'm not sure if they were paid to live there, or had just moved in.

There has been talk of restoring it for decades. I doubt it will ever be repaired unless it is done with private funds. The house is rather small. The setting is really beautiful. I can see why Trujillo liked it so much.

The most interesting feature of the house is the living upstairs on a semi-open deck. That is the exact spot where Trujillo confronted a bound Jesus Galindez. It was an intense feeling for me to stand in the actually place where this pivotal event in Dominican history had occured.

It is not that easy to find, but it is worth it.