Good excursion to Pico Duarte

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
Just go, you don't need a company. Turn up, hire the guide and a couple of mules and that's it. Long slog but probably worth it.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
If you want to save money then contact a local guide and do it yourself. You'll save about 60% of what the cost would be if you go through an operator. Of course, this will mean more coordinating on your end. If you go through an operator, I also suggest Rancho Baiguate.

The guide I always use is Antonio. I have several numbers for him but I know one works: 829.293.5551, 829.786.5034, 829.877.0768

For another funny read, here's my experience when I tried to hike Pico Duarte in 14 hours non stop, there and back. It was a stupid idea but I will have the stories for a lifetime: http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/97976-pico-duarte-14-hours.html

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Well it's done.. we planned for 3 days... got lost on day one..

Then found the correct La Cienega (turns out they have one in every area)... we were too late to start on day 1.

So we did it in 2 days up and down with one guide..

Day one - up to La Compartion in 10 hours
Day two - up Pico Duarte and down to La Cienega in 14 hours

Total cost DR$ 3,000 for 2 persons..

Report will follow

maleru

Jan 18, 2013
I've heard you can't do it without a guide, how did you get a guide to agree to 14 hours?
I'm a trail runner, used to long slogs, and the idea that I have to go the speed of a guide is less than thrilling.
Also, which outfitter/tour company did you go with merengue? Or did you book it independently?

I'll end up by myself in Jarabacoa, plan on running the river and hiking the peak, hope to meet others there to share the cost and experience, but I will do it. One concern is that I have literally no gear (tent, sleeping bag, thermal wear, cook stove, etc.) but if I am able to go at MY speed, I hike 1000 meters elevation gain over 3 miles in about an hour on rough trail back home.

Additional thoughts and information is highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I've heard you can't do it without a guide, how did you get a guide to agree to 14 hours?
I'm a trail runner, used to long slogs, and the idea that I have to go the speed of a guide is less than thrilling.
Also, which outfitter/tour company did you go with merengue? Or did you book it independently?

I'll end up by myself in Jarabacoa, plan on running the river and hiking the peak, hope to meet others there to share the cost and experience, but I will do it. One concern is that I have literally no gear (tent, sleeping bag, thermal wear, cook stove, etc.) but if I am able to go at MY speed, I hike 1000 meters elevation gain over 3 miles in about an hour on rough trail back home.

Additional thoughts and information is highly appreciated.

1. The guide didn't agree to 14 hours but he didn't want to sleep on the mountain either :)... it's basically 10 hours up - maybe 8 if you're really fit
2. The guide rides a mule so you can make fair time, don't worry too much.. but remember this isn't a short run..
3. We went to the park Amrando Bermudez and hired a local guide - no tour company involved...
4. We slept one night in an emergency bivouac plastic bag besides the fire.. that was actually not the best tool for the job we managed..

maleru

Jan 18, 2013
Thanks for all the information!
I figure I'll work out the details once I get there, and if there are other travelers who want to hike, we can make a few days out of it, otherwise I will try to summit and leave in one day. After all, the challenge is the best part!

Liz Burgos

Nov 7, 2014
When going with a private guide for a cheaper price, how does one get sleeping bags and a tent to use?