Portable Generator Ship or buy down there?

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Is it best to buy a generator here in the states and have it shipped to DR or is it best to just get one down there? A bit of research tells me...

Buying in US here and shipping
Pros:
  • A lot more choices
  • Price?
  • You know that your getting it new and not used/reconditioned
Cons:
  • Shipping can offset savings
  • Guarantee is worthless

Buying in DR
Pros:
  • Save on shipping
  • If bought from store have Guarantee
Cons:
  • Is it new?
  • If bought used, how much maintenance was given?

I will only be needing a small generator, enough to provide power to my batteries should they start to drain. I plan on having an inverter. Cheers!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I will only be needing a small generator, enough to provide power to my batteries should they start to drain. I plan on having an inverter. Cheers!
What good are your batteries without an inverter?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just went through the analysis and decided to import the generator. If the search function worked on DR1, I could even point you to the thread about it.

To summarize, the generator I purchased cost $1,494 US including door to door shipping.
The price for something similar here is about $80,000 $RD or $2,025 US.

Last edited:

pas

Jun 7, 2004
cons.... If bought from store have Guarantee

you a newby here....

??

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
What good are your batteries without an inverter?
What I mean is I will have an inverter, however, should there be a long enough black-out where my batteries start to drain, I can turn on the generator to feed power into the inverter and recharge.

I just went through the analysis and decided to import the generator. If the search function worked on DR1, I could even point you to the thread about it.
Before starting this thread I searched DR1 forums but couldn't find any information.

cons.... If bought from store have Guarantee

you a newby here....

??
There are places, stores, that offer a limited, maybe 2 month, guarantee on items.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is likely that the small generator you are looking to purchase will cost almost as much as the generator I just imported.

AED6500SRFront.jpg

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
It is likely that the small generator you are looking to purchase will cost almost as much as the generator I just imported.

AED6500SRFront.jpg

Could you give me more info on this generator....cost to buy? cost to ship? thanks.

Try this.... they are in SD.
I own one of theirs... not portable, larger type.

However, they do have portables..... and a guarantee

Thanks WW, they dont post prices on their site, would you happen to know prices (mas o menos?)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Could you give me more info on this generator....cost to buy? cost to ship? thanks.

Thanks WW, they dont post prices on their site, would you happen to know prices (mas o menos?)

Sorry, no I have no pricing. have your builder phone them...my builder bought mine from them... bigger than you want.

Do a little local homework.

They do have a 1yr guarantee... mine did ...we didn't need it but when the tarjeta went bad after 4 yrs, we had them service it.

There are plenty of good planta repair people all around. Its a way of life here - plantas

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004

To summarize, the generator I purchased cost $1,494 US including door to door shipping.
The price for something similar here is about $80,000 $RD or $2,025 US.

Does that door to door include duty and ITIBS? otherwise multiply your C&F cost x 1.20 x 1.16 which would be US$2,076.00!!!

g'luck

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

Does the price you quoted with delivery include the duty you will pay on importing the item?

LTS

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Called Montero shipping and asked how much to ship generator (planta electrica); they asked wattage, I said 2Kw, they said $175. Was actually looking at this one....

1200/1500-Watt Portable Gas Generator with CARB-42431 at The Home Depot, its free shipping but with tax comes up to $212.

So shipped to DR is $387US = $15KDR.

That is a very small generator. As the others mentioned please take a good luck at your power consumption before you get one that small.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
That is a very small generator. As the others mentioned please take a good luck at your power consumption before you get one that small.

Save yourself a lot of trouble, buy one here, you can get more gen for your buck that little thing......

g'luck

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Save yourself a lot of trouble, buy one here, you can get more gen for your buck that little thing......

g'luck

I think you guys are right.

Consider a generator 20% higher capacity than your inverter.
Ok, so if I have a 3.5KVA inverter I should consider a 4KW generator just to feed it into the inverter to charge the batteries?

For the DR1'ers here that have inverters, do you use a backup system incase your batteries run out of juice?