3 month tourist - visa needed?

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Hi, I know the rules seem to be changing, so I just wanted to check in on the latest...

We run a non-profit that gets several volunteers a year for anywhere from 1 month to 9 months at a time. I have a volunteer coming soon for a 3 month period and she wanted to be sure of the tourist visa rules and asked if she will need a special visa. I have never heard of a visa for this. In the past our volunteers just get the regular tourist card for $10 USD then pay the overstay penalties upon leaving. Is this still the drill? I want her to be completely prepared and comfortable so I thought it best to check in. Thanks!!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Under the new rules she will be expelled from this country.

You can only stay for 30 days under the new rules unless you donate lemons to the apprpriate parties ( not true )

My name is Mike and I like to party !

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
she could be kicked out or not let in again. could. does not mean she will be. if she really, really wants to be 100% legal she can ask for an extension of her visa.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
To date NO ONE has EVER been kicked out of the DR for overstaying a Tourist Visa. And to my knowledge no one has been denied entry to the DR that overstayed a tourist visa.

If anyone knows firsthand of this happening I would like to hear about it. And not about people wanted in other places.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Under the new rules she will be expelled from this country.

You can only stay for 30 days under the new rules unless you donate lemons to the apprpriate parties ( not true )

My name is Mike and I like to party !

Isn't the tourist card now valid for 60 days?

Aug 21, 2007
They still charge at the airport for any stay beyond 30 days. Thus, I would assume that this is one piece of the new immigration reform that is not being enforced.

Convenient for them, huh?

Lindsey

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Haven't we heard from several members recent experience the immigration officers at the airports are not even aware of the new rules?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I have never seen anything from the DR government that the rules for overstay has changed. I would love to see an official link that shows the rules have changed or are changing.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I have never seen anything from the DR government that the rules for overstay has changed. I would love to see an official link that shows the rules have changed or are changing.

Don't hold your breathe.

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
Hi, I know the rules seem to be changing, so I just wanted to check in on the latest...

We run a non-profit that gets several volunteers a year for anywhere from 1 month to 9 months at a time. I have a volunteer coming soon for a 3 month period and she wanted to be sure of the tourist visa rules and asked if she will need a special visa. I have never heard of a visa for this. In the past our volunteers just get the regular tourist card for $10 USD then pay the overstay penalties upon leaving. Is this still the drill? I want her to be completely prepared and comfortable so I thought it best to check in. Thanks!!

Just came back from a 3 month and a few days trip.
Paid at arrival the US$10 and when I left the DR$1,000 at the airport. No problems.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Thanks very much for the info. Sounds like it will be the same as usual and as I expected, she will be just fine with the tourist card of $10 USD, then paying the overstay fees upon departure.