New/used Kia Sportage Pricing.....

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
How much would you pay for a 8-9 months old Kia Sportage with 5-6k kilometers? A friend of friend of mine decided that DR isn't for them and decided to go back home. So basically the jeepata has been sitting in someone's parking lot for couple of months and desperately looking to get rid of it. I have looked at the supercarros.com and new Sportage is priced around at $25000 US dollars and he wants $21000 dollars for it. Is that fair price or is there room to save little more?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
$21,000 or $20,000 seems fair enough.

Good used cars are hard to find here - I wouldn't quibble too much.

Get the service records - if any.

Supercarros are $25-26,000 for new.... I didn't see any used - asking for 2010-2012 models

$18-19,000 would be really killing it if you ask me.
All cash and fast might get you there.

The seller isn't in a strong position if he's already left.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
$21,000 or $20,000 seems fair enough.

Good used cars are hard to find here - I wouldn't quibble too much.

Get the service records - if any.

Supercarros are $25-26,000 for new.... I didn't see any used - asking for 2010-2012 models

$18-19,000 would be really killing it if you ask me.
All cash and fast might get you there.

The seller isn't in a strong position if he's already left.
More I look at the cars, my price point increases. :( If this continues I might end up buying another brand new Mercedes. :p
I was stressing over how I want to spend less then $15k so the owner knows that I am in for a bargain. Do you really think $19000 is pushing it the person is probably Korean so probably have connections with church people. I really don't care but I don't want my wife to bother me about another gossips floating around on our back.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
K,
Some of those cars on Supercarros were $28,000.... it depends on the options this car has.

This sounds like a situation where you could really beat up the seller if you want to.
Now, if they sit in the pew in front of you..... it's your call.

There's an old adage about deals..... when only one person is smiling after the deal....???

I may be the wrong person to ask - I'm very fussy about what I drive -- everywhere in the world.
At times, the extra cost is worth it for me.

Here's another take on it...
The old rule was a car lost 1/3 of its value as it drove off the lot.... US/Can rule.

Do some math

carib

Jul 16, 2002
I say BEFORE you consider purchasing a used car here... run a backgroung check on the history of the vehicle. Most are pretty looking junk from Fla auto auctions. They are cars that prople won't buy in the USA. Hurricane Sandy flooded cars should be for sale on dealers lots here soon. I feel sorry for the people who will buy them.

When I was shopping for a car here I gave up on buying used as they were all scrap for high prices. I purchased a NEW Kia Sportage Diesel in Santiago for 2000 dollars more than a Camery that I was also looking at. 2000 more out the door with 6 months of insurance included. When I ran carfax I found that the Toyota Camery that I liked was totally wrecked, sold as salvage, rebulit in Fla, auctioned and exported to the Dominican Republic. BE CAREFUL..... if you can buy a new car.
Carib

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed, I was very careful to buy a car FROM RD, meaning imported new, no US history.

I'm assuming that K's car is one of those 'naturalized' vehicles, not an auction bought USA car.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
The price seems fair. Keep in mind that the depreciation rate of Kias in DR is brutal, only compared to high-end cars like Mercedes or BMW. That vehicle will cost less than half in 5 years.
I'm not one of those who buy a car thinking about depreciation, but if you are, beware...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think KIA's drop like stones - pricewise........... but they said that about my Suzuki.

When you're on the buy side - that can be good news.
For the length of time I intend to keep the XL7, buying a highly depreciated car made sense to me.

Cars are the wrong place for equity..... cars and equity shouldn't be in the same sentence.
Bottomless pits........ I love them;)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Same in Belgium...

As soon as you drive your car out of the dealership, you lose 25%. A friend of mine experienced that a number of years ago. She nosed her brand-new Ford Fiesta out of the dealer, and got hit by a car. The back-end was still on the dealer's lot. Total loss, and she had a hell of a fight with the insurance companies.

Personally, I would never buy a new car here. I loved getting into a new car every 18 months in Belgium, loved the smell, loved the new experience, sound system, engine, etc..., but here I would find it such a shame if they scratched my new car, or dented it and drove off, etc...

If the KIA is from a reliable source, and you can get it for 19,000$, get it. Unless you plan to sell the car in the next 2 or 3 years. Then get a Toyota.

BelgianK