Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Renewing Canadian Passport here in the DR?

Is it possible to renew our passports while being here in the DR or do we have to return to Canada to do so? What's the process?

My wife and one of my children's passports expire in February and we don't want to be caught off guard. Any recommendations?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link you will need

Forms - Passport Canada

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, can be done -- my friend just did it.

POP for him.... done in 10 days or so... Cdn Consulate

Any Cdn consulate ... my daughters have done it in Rome and Paris

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent - thanks for the comments. I think we'll make our way to POP as that is much closer and likely less of a headache.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Now, any tips on how to avoid paying the MASSIVE exit fee when you are here for a while and then leave to go abroad? We would love to get our residency or Cedula, but I understand we would need to go back to Canada and apply from there.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just renewed my USA passport here in POP. Two weeks and $110.00 USD.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I di it a few months ago just be careful to use the correct forms if your a Canadian living here. It took about 10 days here in SD

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done it here in Punta Cana. A simple and painless process. Just get the appropriate pictures taken and fill out the forms (which you can print online or get from the local embassy). I hadn't been in the country long enough at the time to have a guarantor, so I just paid a bit extra and didn't need one. I actually found the process easier here than it was in Canada

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PCMissionary View Post
    Now, any tips on how to avoid paying the MASSIVE exit fee when you are here for a while and then leave to go abroad? We would love to get our residency or Cedula, but I understand we would need to go back to Canada and apply from there.
    So it's OK to do the crime, but not the time when caught

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I renewed mine a few months ago. The process was the same as in Canada. Pay $100.00 fill out 1 or 2 papers, get a "professional" doctor or lawyer, etc to sign off and say they know your for 2 years. mine was done in 14 days. Very easy, no problems. One of the most easiest things I have had done here in the DR. Actually easier, because I had the pictures taken here and sent them to my mom in Canada and they refused them, but the same pictures were no problem for the Canadian consuate here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast