Renewing Canadian Passport here in the DR?

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
Is it possible to renew our passports while being here in the DR or do we have to return to Canada to do so? What's the process?

My wife and one of my children's passports expire in February and we don't want to be caught off guard. Any recommendations?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, can be done -- my friend just did it.

POP for him.... done in 10 days or so... Cdn Consulate

Any Cdn consulate ... my daughters have done it in Rome and Paris

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
Excellent - thanks for the comments. I think we'll make our way to POP as that is much closer and likely less of a headache.

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
Now, any tips on how to avoid paying the MASSIVE exit fee when you are here for a while and then leave to go abroad? We would love to get our residency or Cedula, but I understand we would need to go back to Canada and apply from there.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I di it a few months ago just be careful to use the correct forms if your a Canadian living here. It took about 10 days here in SD

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I've done it here in Punta Cana. A simple and painless process. Just get the appropriate pictures taken and fill out the forms (which you can print online or get from the local embassy). I hadn't been in the country long enough at the time to have a guarantor, so I just paid a bit extra and didn't need one. I actually found the process easier here than it was in Canada :)

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Now, any tips on how to avoid paying the MASSIVE exit fee when you are here for a while and then leave to go abroad? We would love to get our residency or Cedula, but I understand we would need to go back to Canada and apply from there.

So it's OK to do the crime, but not the time when caught:surprised

Ex-Canuck

Dec 30, 2010
I renewed mine a few months ago. The process was the same as in Canada. Pay $100.00 fill out 1 or 2 papers, get a "professional" doctor or lawyer, etc to sign off and say they know your for 2 years. mine was done in 14 days. Very easy, no problems. One of the most easiest things I have had done here in the DR. Actually easier, because I had the pictures taken here and sent them to my mom in Canada and they refused them, but the same pictures were no problem for the Canadian consuate here.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I renewed mine a few months ago. The process was the same as in Canada. Pay $100.00 fill out 1 or 2 papers, get a "professional" doctor or lawyer, etc to sign off and say they know your for 2 years. mine was done in 14 days. Very easy, no problems. One of the most easiest things I have had done here in the DR. Actually easier, because I had the pictures taken here and sent them to my mom in Canada and they refused them, but the same pictures were no problem for the Canadian consuate here.

LOL, I had a similar experience, but when back in Canada I wanted to renew my PP, the said it was too damaged and had to fill out form 'a', 'b', 'c', and another one just for good measure. Came back here and went to POP and got my PP in 14 days....real easy, as ex canuck says one of the easiest things you can do in the DR (govt related that is)

james

Jan 14, 2002
Keep in mind they will take your current passport until the new one is ready so make sure you have no trips planned for 2 weeks. If you request to have your old passort back as well when the new one arrives notify them when you do the application and you can have it back as well.