Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Chiropractic Student who needs advice

Hi everyone,
    My name is Cody Sandzimier and I have a question I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me with. I am just about to finish my second year in obtaining my Doctorate in Chiropractic care. This upcoming January I will be going on a Chiropractic Mission trip to the DR and Haiti with a large group of students. There will be about 15 students attending from my school (Los Angeles College of Chiropractic) and about 60 Students in total. We will be in Haiti from Dec 30-Jan 2, and then DR from Jan 2-Jan 6th. What we do is we all head down there as a group with our protable tables in hand and just start treating. We see about 150 patients, per student, per day. So doing the math you can see that we see literally thousands of people over the course of our trip. We are going with a 501(c)3 non-profit organization

My question is, what do you think is the best way to approach Dominicans or Haitians as far as raising funds/donating? We aren't trying to make money off of this or anything, just trying to cover our costs because we are finiancially strapped students because of our crazy inflated tuition, as well as raise money for the people down there to donate. We created a website (posted below) for people to go donate too but it has gotten like zero traffic. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Last edited by Hlywud; 11-08-2012 at 07:16 AM. Reason: urls removed

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirocody View Post
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Cody Sandzimier and I have a question I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me with. I am just about to finish my second year in obtaining my Doctorate in Chiropractic care. This upcoming January I will be going on a Chiropractic Mission trip to the DR and Haiti with a large group of students. There will be about 15 students attending from my school (Los Angeles College of Chiropractic) and about 60 Students in total. We will be in Haiti from Dec 30-Jan 2, and then DR from Jan 2-Jan 6th. What we do is we all head down there as a group with our protable tables in hand and just start treating. We see about 150 patients, per student, per day. So doing the math you can see that we see literally thousands of people over the course of our trip. We are going with a 501(c)3 non-profit organization

My question is, what do you think is the best way to approach Dominicans or Haitians as far as raising funds/donating? We aren't trying to make money off of this or anything, just trying to cover our costs because we are finiancially strapped students because of our crazy inflated tuition, as well as raise money for the people down there to donate. We created a website (posted below) for people to go donate too but it has gotten like zero traffic. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Contact AZB, he's on this forum and is also a chiropractor

http://www.dr1.com/forums/members/azb.html

Click link above and send him a pm
    Last edited by Hlywud; 11-25-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: put in AZB's html so user can pm him

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's see here... 150 patients in 600 minutes (10 hours a day, without breaks) gives you 4 mins a patient... what is this treatment you speak of?

4. Likes KateP, cobraboy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously ???

You are coming down here on a missions trip. with a 501c3. NON PROFIT.
    Why are you coming ? Experience, adventure or to help someone ?
    The people you are coming to adjust - need their necks and backs adjusted, not their wallets ! They barely have enough money to eat everyday -- as you can tell, I'm alittle shocked by your post.
    You are saying you are financially strapped as a student - that is most likely true from a North American standpoint -- but my friend, you don't know what financially strapped is until you see and understand how many of your upcoming patients live daily.
    Please --- share your talent with people here, free. Don't try to "manipulate" anything but their backs.

6. Likes KateP, CaptnGlenn, Criss Colon liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

My advise to you would be to approach the alumni association at your school and try to get them to put the word out among the members. They would be in a lot better position to help you fund your mission. Good luck!

8. Likes fidget, CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Non-profit is non-profit. Those people are poor as church mice. You're supposed to raise money at home for this trip, not abroad.

10. Likes CaptnGlenn, pollogringo liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The DR is where you go to spend money, not make it. You will have a time getting the Doms to even lie on the table. Poor un-educated Dominicans will not have a clue about chiropractic treatments. If they have pains they smell Vicks Vaparoo and rub camphor on themselves. Just come on down and enjoy the country, you will love it here.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Do I have this right?

You want to solicit money to help cover your expenses....from the patients you will be treating in third world countries, one of which is the poorest country in the Western hemisphere?

What specifically would you like the money for? Extra snacks at the airport? Your lab coat or shoes?

Most of the people you treat live off of less than $2 per day. Right now, starting TODAY, I want you to...for a week, live off of $2 per day. The come back here and ask that question again.

SHALENA

13. Likes Auryn, Lothario666 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Free is free. Voluntary is voluntary. I paid my way(full price) and my rooming(discounted for the large number of rooms the volunteers reserved- also shared rooms) for every disaster relief project I've ever worked on abroad. The food was free as it was donated in the US and prepared by other volunteers and willing locals.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirocody View Post
    Hi everyone,

Forget about raising money in either country. When you do a trip with a non-profit it is out of the goodness of your heart, if you can't afford to go, don't go. 150 patients a day is way too many.

16. Likes pollogringo liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast