perplexing situation

spacer

May 31, 2012
I was living in the DR for a year and opened up a savings account with Banco Popular. I was renting an apartment for $300 a month and each month I would use internet banking to transfer the rent money to her account. I paid the last months rent and left in september. Come october, I noticed that there had been a transfer of $300 from my account to her account without my authorization. I sent banco popular an email from their online banking with no response. No response, of course, from her. Can anyone explain to me what is going on? I had not set up reoccurring electronic payments so that is not the answer.

Nov 25, 2008
you better get someone on the phone from the bank, was the online banking transfer set up to do it automatically?
it will take them at least 2-6 months for the to realize their error

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
You left the D.R in September after living there for a year,
.... and you left lot's of money in the bank account?

Why?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Call the bank before $300 is withdrawn for November, assuming money still in the account.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Take action now

Steps:

1. Empty the account of all money, transfer it to your home country.
2. Make a formal complaint to the DR bank requesting that they reimburse you the money and/or show you the authorised transaction.

3. Name the bank, location and manager on DR1 if they fail to provide you with the items requested under 2

george1

Jan 2, 2011
Steps:

2. Make a formal complaint to the DR bank requesting that they reimburse you the money and/or show you the authorised transaction.

3. Name the bank, location and manager on DR1 if they fail to provide you with the items requested under 2

Great advice. I fully agree. Raise hell, but do it asap. Do not rely on having the issue resolved with a friendly e-mail to the bank. I had similar stuff happening with BP. They are like that. I lost a whole lot of time and US$500 plus.

spacer

May 31, 2012
Steps:

I'm back in the USA now. How would I make a formal complaint? I do not plan to return to the DR in the near future. I just wonder how this could have happened. Is there a procedure in the DR where someone can transfer money from someone else's account? I had not set up an automatic transfer not even by accident. the last time i transferred money it was on september 26 and this one occurred on october 24th

spacer

May 31, 2012
Great advice. I fully agree. Raise hell, but do it asap. Do not rely on having the issue resolved with a friendly e-mail to the bank. I had similar stuff happening with BP. They are like that. I lost a whole lot of time and US$500 plus.

Out of curiosity, how did it happen that the money was transferred from your account? Was it the error of the bank or did someone do something to move the money to their account. Were you able to recover any money?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I bet a dollar to a doughnut the $300 is gone forever. Some good advice posted. If you get the $300 back from a Dom bank it will be a first. Let us know what happens

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed, flush the account doqwn to minimum balance to keep it open - if you want to keep it open.

Then argue....... the explanation could be multi-faceted.

As simple as a relative in the bank.... or the landlady going in and saying you ran out on your lease and she needs to get paid.
Anything can happen here.....
The system isn't secure.

You may lose the $300.... just don't lose any more

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm back in the USA now. How would I make a formal complaint? I do not plan to return to the DR in the near future. I just wonder how this could have happened. Is there a procedure in the DR where someone can transfer money from someone else's account? I had not set up an automatic transfer not even by accident. the last time i transferred money it was on september 26 and this one occurred on october 24th

Have you done anything besides post on DR1?

Banco Popular has a website. Start immediately to build a paper trail by sending a message to them.

Popular en l?nea

Follow this up with a phone call. What branch were you doing business with?

If you aren't doing something with the bank you will likely soon have another withdrawal for November. Assuming it has not already been made.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Spacer,

You mentioned you had internet banking. Use it to empty the account. Do it now.

Then mail the bank manager with your complaint. Include a cc to your legal representative. Be aggressive and set them 5 working days to respond or you will turn this over to your lawyer and publish his full name on the web on as many places as you can.

Do not go through official complaint channels, nor accept being referred to this.