SirCam Virus "details"

H

hlywud

VIRUS ALERT: W32.SirCam.worm
A new virus was discovered last week that has the ability to fill up a users' hard drive, delete files, distribute private documents, hide itself from typical virus scanners, and propagate itself across the

Internet using the Microsoft Outlook address book. The Symantec Anti-Virus Research Center (SARC) has ranked the threat of the virus,entitled SirCam, a four, with five being the most serious. The McAfee Anti-Virus Emergency Response Team (AVERT), as well as the Trend
Micro Virus Information Center, ranks the virus as a medium threat. The virus usually comes as an e-mail attachment with the file name
"SirCam32.exe."

There are several payloads of the virus that randomly occur. One user could actually be a carrier of the virus but never be infected. When you run it, it does three things. The first thing it can do is fill up
all the remaining space on the hard disk by adding text to a system file in the Recycle Bin (c:\recycled\sircam.sys) at each startup. The next
thing it can do is possibly trigger the machine to delete all the files on the hard drive. Finally, it will export a random document form the hard drive and append it to the body of the virus when it propagates
itself to other users. This could present a privacy breach if the document is confidential. Another unusual characteristic of the virus is that
when it uploads a file from the hard drive to send to other users, it will append the file name with either .exe, .bat, .tif., .com, or .link.
If it uses .link or .bat, the virus will essentially "neuter" itself,ceasing to operate. The virus stores itself in the Microsoft Windows Recycle Bin, where most virus scanners don't scan for viruses.

The SirCam worm arrives as an email message the
subject of which will be random and will be the same as the file name of the email attachment. The attachment is a file taken from the sender's
computer and will have the extension .bat, .com, .lnk or .pif added to it.
The message body will be semi-random, but will always contain one of the following two lines (either English or Spanish) as the first and last sentences of the message.

English Version:

First line: Hi! How are you?

Last line: See you later. Thanks

Spanish Version:

First line: Hola como estas ?

Last line: Nos vemos pronto, gracias.

Between these two sentences, some of the following text may appear:

English Version:

I send you this file in order to have your advice
I hope you can help me with this file that I send
I hope you like the file that I sendo you
This is the file with the information that you ask for

Spanish Version:

Te mando este archivo para que me des tu punto de vista
Espero me puedas ayudar con el archivo que te mando
Espero te guste este archivo que te mando
Este es el archivo con la informaci=n que me pediste

When run, the worm it creates copies of itself as %TEMP%\ and C:\Recycled\ which contain the attached document.
This document is then run using the program registered to handle the specific file type. For example, if it is saved as a file with the .doc extension, it will run using Microsoft Word or Wordpad. A file with
the .xls extension will open in Excel, and one with the .zip extension will open in your default zip program, such as WinZip.

Full details and a technical write up and removal instructions can be found through the following link.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html

All users should ensure
their workstations a free of this virus and that
their Virus definitions are up-to-date so they are protected fromall known viruses. The latest virus definitions can found through the link above. Users should also exercise care and discretion in opening
strange or unusual messages or attachments in notes received from unknown
senders.

H

hillbilly

I wish I had read this five minutes ago!!

I opened it and got a virus warning and deleted it and emptied my deleted files box asap!

Now I will do a virus scan and see.. BTW, McAfee has uup graded this to HIGH risk!!

HB

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: 31 times in 7 days

In my opinion, this is or will be the most active virus I have seen in the history of the computer. I've received it 31 times in the last 7 days. Of course, I've set up Outlook Express to automatically just drop it into the "virus" folder so I don't have to even look at them.

This particular virus is delivered as a trojan (disguised as one thing such as a text doc, photo, etc. , but executes malicious code when run), and once run, installs a worm virus.

I've only gotten a virus once in my life, and I don't use virus scanning software. The one time I got it was because of an auto-run-attachment feature in Outlook Express, which has since been patched. Don't click on attachments that are executable (.bat, .exe, .lnk, .pif, .com, .vbs are examples of executables and .doc and .xls could contain a script virus), and you'll never get an E-mail virus. It's that simple.

H

hlywud

Re: SirCam Virus "fix tool"

The W32.Sircam.Worm@mm Fix tool deletes the files infected with the W32.Sircam.Worm@mm worm and removes the changes that were made to a computer by this virus.

To obtain and run the tool:

1. Go to http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/FixSirc.com at URL atached
2. Download the Fixsirc.com file to a convenient location, such as your download folder or the Windows desktop. If you are on a network, the removal tool should be applied on all computers, including the server.
3. To check the authenticity of the digital signature, refer the section The digital signature.
4. Close all programs before running the tool, including any antivirus scanners such as NAV Auto-Protect.
5. If you are on a network, or have a full time connection to the Internet, disconnect the computer from the network and the Internet. Disable or password protect file sharing before reconnecting computers to the network or to the internet. Because this worm spreads by using shared folders on networked computers, to ensure that the worm does not reinfect the computer after it has been removed, Symantec suggests sharing with read-only access or using password protection. For instructions on how to do this, see your Windows documentation or the document How to configure shared Windows folders for maximum network protection.

H

hillbilly

Thank you for this. I ran a Virus Scan

Did over 100,000 files and no virus came up. Looks like the Virus Schield caught it in time.

HB