Do-It-Yourself Permanent Residency Renewal???

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
Is it possible for someone to do a permanent residency renewal by themselves if they do not know how to speak or read Spanish?

I know that with getting residency for the first time, you need to work with a lawyer if you are approaching the gaining of residency as someone from outside the country?

But if a person already has a permanent residency card that is expiring, would they need to have a lawyer to get the photos and the physical exam that is required and help them with other things?

I had a lawyer tell me that they could do a permanent residency renewal for $600, but I would like to find a cheaper way to do it. Please help with your answers.

Thanks, LEE

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It is impossible to do anything without Spanish, it is almost impossible to do anything with fluent Spanish.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The fun part about hiring a lawyer is you go to the front of the line and watch the do it yourself people sit all day.

Not really, but if there's an express lane I take it !

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The fun part about hiring a lawyer is you go to the front of the line and watch the do it yourself people sit all day.

Not really, but if there's an express lane I take it !
I've always done it myself (first residence and permanent) and never sat there longer than half an hour. Planning is everything. Without knowing Spanish I would definitely recommend to get a lawyer.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is it possible for someone to do a permanent residency renewal by themselves if they do not know how to speak or read Spanish?

I know that with getting residency for the first time, you need to work with a lawyer if you are approaching the gaining of residency as someone from outside the country?

But if a person already has a permanent residency card that is expiring, would they need to have a lawyer to get the photos and the physical exam that is required and help them with other things?

I had a lawyer tell me that they could do a permanent residency renewal for $600, but I would like to find a cheaper way to do it. Please help with your answers.

Thanks, LEE

If there was ever a time to use a lawyer, it is now. With all the changes and uncertainties, using a lawyer who is experienced and reliable is wise. I have been a resident for more than 25 years and have renewed my residency by myself many times. But next time, I am going to use a lawyer.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I've always done it myself (first residence and permanent) and never sat there longer than half an hour. Planning is everything. Without knowing Spanish I would definitely recommend to get a lawyer.

Good for you but there was 30 people ahead of me and I left before they did!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
I have been a resident for more than 25 years and have renewed my residency by myself many times. But next time, I am going to use a lawyer.

In your case you won't need a lawyer.

donP

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
If there was ever a time to use a lawyer, it is now. With all the changes and uncertainties, using a lawyer who is experienced and reliable is wise. I have been a resident for more than 25 years and have renewed my residency by myself many times. But next time, I am going to use a lawyer.

Okay, but where can I find one who will help me for $300 instead of $600? Please private message me if you know. Thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken unless they change back to the old way for us to renew stick to your lawyer plan.Trust my experience last month.

I intend to not take any chances unless, as you say, it goes back to the old procedures.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Okay, but where can I find one who will help me for $300 instead of $600? Please private message me if you know. Thanks.

Why PM, share the goodness. Are you renewing or first timing. There is so much crap on this board about this and people's experiences I am in serious doubt about the amount of people on DR1 who say they are residents, but are infact not. Some things are just bollox, some things are just seriously untrue, but people keep saying 'in my experience a dead man could pass the medical these days'. To me, that automatically tells me, you are not resident, nor intend to be, but online know 'almost' enough to play some 'Im a resi of DR game', which is odd, because it is just odd. Why, what is so great about this residency? All it did for me is cost me money, any intelligent person would avoid having to get it at all costs, unless like me you needed it for a driving job!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Why PM, share the goodness. Are you renewing or first timing. There is so much crap on this board about this and people's experiences I am in serious doubt about the amount of people on DR1 who say they are residents, but are infact not. Some things are just bollox, some things are just seriously untrue, but people keep saying 'in my experience a dead man could pass the medical these days'. To me, that automatically tells me, you are not resident, nor intend to be, but online know 'almost' enough to play some 'Im a resi of DR game', which is odd, because it is just odd. Why, what is so great about this residency? All it did for me is cost me money, any intelligent person would avoid having to get it at all costs, unless like me you needed it for a driving job!

Does this mean I spent $10,000 U.S to operate a taxi or motoconcho?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Does this mean I spent $10,000 U.S to operate a taxi or motoconcho?

I don't understand what you are saying. But the same as though who preach about doing it right and paying their way fairly (here on DR1), but in reality, run a business and avoid all dues a truly above board business would pay. Don't you think, or maybe you disagree, I dunno.

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
I will be renewing my first residency card that I received two years ago this coming April.

If my first permanent residency card began two years ago this coming April 10th, then what date should I start the "lawyer process" in immigration to get my second residency card so I am not penalized for being late?

Also, how long will it take to get my residency card from the moment I begin the process with a lawyer to the time I get my card in hand? I understand I will be taking some paperwork to another building across town where they process the cards.

Your accurate feedback is much appreciated, Lee Stetson :knockedou

DaveJohnson

Sep 30, 2008
You need to complete residency renewal within the 45 day period before it expires. If you do not there is a penalty.

They can not speed up the medical process.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I intend to not take any chances unless, as you say, it goes back to the old procedures.
Ken, they wave the medical etc. for us old timers. A few months ago, I did mine alone in a couple of hours. All they wanted was copies of my residence and cedula along with the application form.