American-- want to move somewhere warm...DR or Costa Rica?

sunlover721

Oct 25, 2012
Hi-- Relatively new to the forum. I am an American with an online business, so can work anywhere in the world. Seriously considering the DR and Costa Rica...anybody have any pros/cons between the two? If you had the choice, which would you prefer? One point of concern is hurricanes, like the recent one.
Looking into real estate, taxes, cost of living in both. Thanks for any comments.
I have been told to keep my $$ at home, so probably will be doing that for the time being, with the exception of some ready cash.

Last edited:

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
Hi-- Relatively new to the forum. I am an American with an online business, so can work anywhere in the world. Seriously considering the DR and Costa Rica...anybody have any pros/cons between the two? If you had the choice, which would you prefer? One point of concern is hurricanes, like the recent one.
Looking into real estate, taxes, cost of living in both. Thanks for any comments.
I have been told to keep my $$ at home, so probably will be doing that for the time being, with the exception of some ready cash.

I think you should visit both. i think more north americans live in costa rica. I live in puerto plata so i am one sided. i do not worry about the hurricanes most don't hit where we live. sandy was no threat to us. real estate is a little higher here. it used to be real reasonable in costa rica. i own some land outside of town. the cheapest land i believe is way south. i am not to sure.Their are some threads on here about the cost of living. i have bank accounts in both countries. I really love dominicans and am married to a wonderful woman here. If you are young you may want to stay away from certain towns and go to santiago and larger cities. I don't know. I like PTO PTA area and Sosua.. Driving is very entertaining. Nobody in my family knows how to stop at traffic lights or can drive without a horn. hahahah I just hang on when they drive. Its amazing they do not get into more accidents. Everyone drives crazy.
If you visit its best to be with someone in a group until you learn where to go and not to. Their are many site you can get advice from. Of course it helps to learn spanish. I do not know if this helps at all.
You really can get around quite well without a car. Bus fare to santiago from where i live is real cheap. I would take taxis and not the community cabs. the Motorcycle taxis are not to bad. real cheap. We have a car and truck here so we do not use the transportation much.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
oh if you are running a online business they do have power outages so be prepared....Blackberries are good for phones...things happen here but not as fast as they do in the states. You have to just be patient and it gets done.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

When you consider the DR, think location. If you live on the east coast of the US it is a much easier plane ride to get back and forth. You can get direct flights at reasonable prices. Also the weather overall is less hot and humid and there is no rain forest weather. The other thing to consider is that the Dominican Republic has the largest city in the Caribbean in Santo Domingo. Even though you are on an island you will be able to go to large city if you want. When you are considering where to live, you probably want to rent an apartment and then get the feel of the area. Make sure you choose a place where there is very good security and and a place that may have a back up generator. I live in Las Terrenas on the Samana Pennisula and there is a private electric company. There rates are higher but there is continuous and reliable supply of energy. There is also an airport less than 30 minutes away(El Catey/Samana AZS) Airport. There are now direct flights from JFK. The cost of living in the DR is reasonable. If you eat fruits, vegetables and meat which are local prices are usually cheaper than the US. The cost of gasoline is very expensive at around $6us per gallon. Electricity is on the high side. The other thing to consider is the cost of being a resident. To get a temporary residency will cost you $1500-2000. If you plan on living in the DR full by law you will need to apply for this. So, as you can see there is a lot to consider. Good luck with your plans.

LTS

SteveK

Jan 23, 2011
Saddened to see what's been going on

My wife, Dominican, and I have considered retiring in the DR. However, with the increase in crime and political unrest is making it more difficult to make that decision. In my experience there: the warmth, friendliness and hospitality of the people is something that we'll always hold with gratitude. Just so unfortunate that so many good, innocent, hardworking and honest people there suffer from those who are selfishly corrupted.

Hopefully, there's a brighter future....

Last edited:

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Hurricanes in DR are 5 time less than Florida.

DR had excellent international flight connections - Russia, Europe, South America, USA, Canada etc. etc.

yapask1

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Look at it like this Dominican Republic and Haiti or Costa Rica and Panama. If you decide on Costa Rica check out these three cities, Liberia on the Pacific coast, San Jose in the central part of the country, and Limon on the Carribean coast. CR is a very lovely country with beauty from top to bottom, also if you like a "green" place to call home CR is perfect. San Jose is a place that many say should be avoided, but I think San Jose has a charm about it that is hard to put into words. If outdoor activities is your thing, CR is second to none, hiking, biking, horse back riding, rain forest, volcanoes, beaches(playa Hermosa and playa Panama) are my two favorites.

I spend alot of time in CR, because I know a guy that has an apartment outside of San Jose and I use it from time to time when he is back in the states. Flights for me to fly to San Jose is alot cheaper then Santo Domingo, so at times I will go to CR for a 3 day weekend just to ride my bike. Everybody should have a place that they can call their own, and mine is San Jose, CR, not taking anything from Dominican Republic or Puerto Rico, but in this two places at times can be stressful.

I do not need to tell you about DR, because many other posters will tell you how great DR is. Which ever country you choose I hope you really enjoy the new life and culture of your new home, but you can't compare the two because they are just too different. Dominicans and Ticos have very little in common example, Ticos eat beans and rice ALL DAY long from sunrise to sunset, Dominicans drink far more then Ticos, and Ticos are more easygoing IMO then Dominicans. These are only my opinions you may form you own once you invest time in both places. GOOD LUCK which ever you choose

PURA VIDA!!!!:)

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I forgot to mention Cahuita, Costa Rica is a cool place to visit, you will see how different it is compare to rest of the country.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Look at it like this Dominican Republic and Haiti or Costa Rica and Panama. If you decide on Costa Rica check out these three cities, Liberia on the Pacific coast, San Jose in the central part of the country, and Limon on the Carribean coast. CR is a very lovely country with beauty from top to bottom, also if you like a "green" place to call home CR is perfect. San Jose is a place that many say should be avoided, but I think San Jose has a charm about it that is hard to put into words. If outdoor activities is your thing, CR is second to none, hiking, biking, horse back riding, rain forest, volcanoes, beaches(playa Hermosa and playa Panama) are my two favorites.

I spend alot of time in CR, because I know a guy that has an apartment outside of San Jose and I use it from time to time when he is back in the states. Flights for me to fly to San Jose is alot cheaper then Santo Domingo, so at times I will go to CR for a 3 day weekend just to ride my bike. Everybody should have a place that they can call their own, and mine is San Jose, CR, not taking anything from Dominican Republic or Puerto Rico, but in this two places at times can be stressful.

I do not need to tell you about DR, because many other posters will tell you how great DR is. Which ever country you choose I hope you really enjoy the new life and culture of your new home, but you can't compare the two because they are just too different. Dominicans and Ticos have very little in common example, Ticos eat beans and rice ALL DAY long from sunrise to sunset, Dominicans drink far more then Ticos, and Ticos are more easygoing IMO then Dominicans. These are only my opinions you may form you own once you invest time in both places. GOOD LUCK which ever you choose

PURA VIDA!!!!:)

I am a big fan of Costa Rica, and Ticos are very nice people, but San Jose is insane for driving and there is increasing crime. Other areas of the country are , for me much better than San Jose.

teufel

Nov 21, 2012
i really dunno about cr but i can tell ya that im european who working in dr my company sent me here 2 work and i've been livin' here since about 2 years. i can tell you that its worse country ever i been. worse traffic every1 drive like a crazy and dont event want to talk about the crime, its most dangerous place to live tho' and you can see haitians all over the dr. ok im not racist but these haitinas really make living here even more hard. and power is big problem here everyday blackouts about more than 5h, if you work online i dont think its good/fast internet here imo every two days i have problem with my internet even tho' my internet plan with tricom is high so if you choose to live here u really have to check and find good place wheres safe enought to live.. once you get used to live it aint so bad but still dangerous all the houses are like prisons with iron things :)

Bonairelisa

Jul 10, 2012
I lived in CR up in the cloud forest of Monteverde for 4 years and loved it, I ended up in the DR because CR started to give me a hard time about my visa, you have to leave for 3 days every 3 months, which I always did, but then they said it was clear I was living there and it is a tourist visa and would only give me 1 month. CR is a beautiful country, there is significantly less crime than in the DR, I was there 4 years and was never robbed, I usually left my door open all day even when i wasn't home so my dogs could go in an out. I've been in the DR for 1 year and have been robbed 3x, once by 3 men all carrying guns. I really miss CR. It was my idea of paradise, but the visa regulations are tough. Maybe you would qualify for residency there, I didn't.

IamZon

Sep 22, 2012
Oh experienced group!

Please comment on where on the island is the most stable infrastructure (internet specifically). I like the Punta Cana area - but it is too much like Walt Disney. The north coast is beautiful - but cabin fever does set in there, and I sense there is internet / utility problems. Samana is an eco wonder - but I think this part of the island may be too remote, less reliable internet? And, of all places, I have not looked into don Julio ?!?!? Which may in the end be a good fit. Gracias

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
As a Midwestern guy with a parent here also... I will chime in. Electricity and quality of connection for an Internet company I would have to seriously think about. We love this nation and many things about it from mountains to coasts to people. We are not Pollyannic,... tho. It could be a serious adjustment for many. The " houses are like prisons" window bars could be a bit annoying if you had not accustomed to them in NYC or elsewhere. Sooty motorcycles and buses, trash being tossed on the street and the occasional public urinal display could be a shock to the senses. Always being on a seeming watch for overpaying can wear one down. However, the beach, the ocean, the green fields, the crazy things people will say on a guagua, the smiling faces and not so "24 hour wal mart, walgreens I gotta have it now" lifestyle will make the difference.

This being said - we live in the middle of a field 5 km from one town and an hour from a major city. No tourist crowds, money changers, sankys, working girls, nightly bar problems...We were country folks from the start...and we kept the Show Me attitude here on the finca. It has served us well - so far.

You could also consider...honestly...the other side of the world...Sri Lanka. Beautiful...and 3 years out of their civil war...they seem to be doing well economically.... MANY RUPEES to the Dollar.