Today is 11/11, and we should remember all the veterans in the DR

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hats off and a very sincere salute to all of the hundreds of veterans now living here in the DR, including many Dominicans who served in the US Armed Forces.

Those who served are remembered today, 11 November, Memorial Day? Veteran's Day...a day that should be even bigger in our hearts and minds.

Nothing is glamorous about wars, but they are there and people serve.

God bless them, every one.

HB
HB

Jan 9, 2004
To all those who serve or served.

To all those who gave with their lives.

To all those still living who continue to suffer wars effects.

To some very special brothers from hill 937.

I salute you one and all.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Amen.

Dec 26, 2011
I'm hesitant to applaud war. I know none of you are doing that. But I must pay respect to the soldier that, once in the fight, bravely sacrifices life and limb to save the others. This instinct is the human spirit at its best.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
THIS IS NOT ABOUT APPLAUDING OR HONORING WAR, or countries, or corporations. It's about honoring THE INDIVIDUALS, the men and women who stand on the front lines to protect those at home who can't or don't. AND to HELL with anyone who diminishes their sacrifices.

So many people have died to preserve freedom and we get an idiot making absurb comments like this Winkeladvocat, I take personal offence to his posts as I lost someone in WWII
He is history.

poppy_red_42.gif

Jan 9, 2004
So many people have died to preserve freedom and we get an idiot making absurb comments like this Winkeladvocat, I take personal offence to his posts as I lost someone in WWII
He is history.

poppy_red_42.gif

The now defunct poster, a victim of collateral damage, got me to pondering his now erased remarks.

As we honor our veterans this day, the thought of war and death always is forever inexplicably intertwined.

And while the spectre of war is not something to be relished or cherished or celebrated, those who serve/served should never be forgotten.....and that is what this day is about.

Lest we forget, how many future deaths were actually prevented because of those wars. That may seem like an odd justification to some, but the history of some past world leaders bears review.

Stalin: Millions killed....but no war.

Pol Pot: Killed approximately 2 million Cambodians....but no war.

Mao-Tse-Tung: Killed millions during the "cultural" revolution, but no war.

More people have likely been killed by dictators and despots than all the wars combined.

War may not be the answer, but as Hitler and Emperor Hirohito found out, sometimes it is the only way to prevent total subjugation of the people. And victory over those who would seek world domination by force can only be achieved by those willing to protect, fight and sometimes die......The Veterans.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Whether you agree with war or not this day is about honoring those that gave up their lifes. Those soldiers may or may not have agreed in what they were fighting for but they did it and for that they deserve the honor and respect. For all the mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, children, wives..etc, who lost a son, daughter, father, spouse, loved one, also deserve this day of remembrance. This is about respect.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
today back home we celebrate independence day. celebrating end of WW1 and restoring poland as a country, after 123 years of partition.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month is when we remember all those men around the world who lost their lives fighting a vile enemy who wished to take away the freedom of many people in Europe .In Britain and the Commonwealth it is specifically a day of rememberance for the armistice of WW 1 and there are other days that commemerate the lives of those lost in other wars ,,in Australia and in new Zealand it is ANZAC day and in England it is VE day .
In the USA , memorial day recalls all those who died in various wars ..........the common thread is that we all had family and friends who gave their lives to fight for goodness and liberty..Many of us of British blood have visited those flat and eary landscapes and memorials in France and in Belgium where the brave are buried

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hats off and a very sincere salute to all of the hundreds of veterans now living here in the DR, including many Dominicans who served in the US Armed Forces.

Those who served are remembered today, 11 November, Memorial Day? Veteran's Day...a day that should be even bigger in our hearts and minds.

Nothing is glamorous about wars, but they are there and people serve.

God bless them, every one.

HB
HB

Thank you H.B. For YOU remembering. For your reminding those of us that didn't remember today. Thanks to my Dad, Uncles and friends that fought and lived through WWII and some that didn't. And to those that are fighting for us now in our times of our current conflict, discourse and confussion, I support you. And most of all, to those that have given their all; to them and families.

And: "God bless them, everyone."

Thank you H.B.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have been in uniform for the past 35 years on Rememberance Day with tears rolling down my face as the play the bagpipes, and the last march. This is my year that I've missed, and it's a mixed blessing because the memory of those that sacrificed brings out strong emotions.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5mnTKN8LuiY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ckfXr1EHO9U?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
We borrowed Lee

Last edited:

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ymCa1eB_qLA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>