mangu

N

Nicole

hey does anyone happen to have the recipe for mangu... while i was there in the DR i ate mangu nealry everyday... I LOVED IT!! i found one recipe on the internet for it, and i tried making it (i followed the recipe exaclty) and it did not taste even remotely similar to what i had in the DR..... could yal help a sista out?!

M

mondongo

Some things about how I make mangu:
THE most important thing about mangu is to make them very quickly and eat them before it gets hard.

1) buy the platanos when they are still green, but with just a minor hint of yellow -- this gives the mangu a very slight sweet taste.
2) Boil them with a little salt..make sure they are boied long enough. when you cut them, they should look transluscent and be soft
3) lightly cook (just a minute or so) some red onions in your favorite oil..
4) take out the platanos and some of the water that it was boiled with (some people also use a little cream or milk also)..add a good helping of butter...mash them up with a fork..make sure that you add the liquid a littlt at a time...too much water/cream will ruin it.
5) add some of the oil from the onions and mash it in...then dump the onions on top.
6) get fresh aguacate....and bingo...you are now in heaven