Constructing A Cisterna

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Dig hole. Cement floor, block walls, panete (cover with cement) Cheap as hell!

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Did you connect it to the home's plumbing system via a pump?

We did this along with the pressurized tank. Works well, but do to the power problems we had to include a tinaca on the roof . Don't have the pvc pipe to low in the cisterna as a fair amount of sediment accumulates. Keep it at least 18" off the bottom and be sure to have large enough access for someone to get in and clean it every couple years.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002

Good advice above. Also make sure that the cement cures well and ensure that it's sealed properly, before you start using it. I had issues with mine with water just leaking out of it into the ground.

Nowadays the better solution is to just dig a well with a submersible pump. If you live in an area where you can trust the water (have it analyzed) that is your best bet.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not think it's that easy, no?

dig a hole, put cement walls? ok, but you also have to seal them well and make walls strong enough to withstand small quake.
cover with cement? not that easy. you actually cover the cistern with cement panels so you have to have enough space in the garden to pour them (basically a wooden crate, fill with cement, wait until set) and time plus good weather to dry them well.

most of cistern are somewhat an integrated part of the house: under the garage or driveway. the cement "lid" needs to withstand lots of pressure and weight.

then you need to connect it to street water (if applicable). and to the pump. ours is right on the top of the cistern for easy access.

you need to figure the location of the cistern too. it has to be close enough to the wall/gate to allow water truck access (in case there is no street water at all or in case of emergencies). it has to have a good entry (usually a metal lid) so that someone (full size human) can enter the cistern for cleaning or maintenance (in cases of emergency).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

I think there are 2 ways... pressurized tank or water impeller.....

Our cistern sits on the highest piece of the property but the gravity feed isn't strong enough.
We use the impeller.

Friends nearby built a water tower.

As for the waterproofing part, its just like a swimming pool. Not that hard

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
cisterna.png

On Left :
For example your tank is 5 meters x 2 meters area.

the check cannot get tha water below 8cm.

You have"no water" but still in the tank : 5x2x0.08= 0.8 cubic meters= 800 liters ( Gallon US 200)

On right:
You took advantage of all tank capacity.
Easy to clean

For incoming water
Pay attention in order to take advantage of your all tank .
Install the float ball valve at the right place.
If not hundredth of gallons would be lost for storage.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I personally would prefer that the intake not be in sump unless the sump was deep enough to hold sediment. You always want to leave a small amount of volume for this.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmm... our cistern is flat in the bottom (like picture on the left) but raised at the lid (as in picture on the right).
this "floatie" that regulates water level is nearly at the very top. there is only two of us in the house and we use very little water: no pool, no garden sprinkles, only daily usage. there is no need to use the full capacity of the cistern, i.e. fill it to the brim.

oh, end edges are sealed with cement. it's all nicely evened and plastered all around. some people use pool paint, i think. in a way a cistern IS like a pool. you have to assure there is no filtration, keep water clean (we add a chloro pill every now and then) and wash the whole thing occasionally (when we moved we emptied the cistern and had it cleaned on the inside).

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Well, just an idea, dont U think it could be sort of easier to use plastic 1000 liters tank and eventually connect them together so it can keep a few thousands liters. That means no digging in the group, no leaking problems...
:)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Well, just an idea, dont U think it could be sort of easier to use plastic 1000 liters tank and eventually connect them together so it can keep a few thousands liters. That means no digging in the group, no leaking problems...
:)

If you have good water pressure and enough area in your yard this is a good method. The problem is sometimes the water pressure is low and would be worse to fill an above ground tank.

May 12, 2005
If you have good water pressure and enough area in your yard this is a good method. The problem is sometimes the water pressure is low and would be worse to fill an above ground tank.

I would think that this would be a huge eyesore and if your solar is small it would take up way too much room.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yep, I'm thinking about the black tinacos. Those can't be buried?

I guess anything is possible. I've never seen it done that way. It would make for a very small cistern and kind of defeat its purpose, which is to hold large amounts of water to use when there's no city water.