Saw Brown A Ferret Or Weasel Like Animal Today -Any Idea What It Is?

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
Hey all. I live in Santo Domingo Este. Today I saw a brown ferret or weasel looking animal run into a large solar. Anyone else seen these things? I looked on google to try to find out what it is - but it did not look like any of the native species. It is possible that it is an escaped pet.

Thanks all!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That, my friend was a mongoose! Do not, repeat DO NOT, even think of getting close to one. They were imported to deal with rats but like so many of the 19th century experiments, it went totally the wrong way!!...Hutias in the US, that kudzu stuff?? whatever...you know what I mean...
Here the mongoose and the bullfrog were major mistakes.

HB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Huron Maybe?

images

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
They are 'viscious pieces of machinery' and, if one is spotted here locally in the campo, everyone will be out armed with stones and machetes until it is captured and killed. One managed to kill a male peacock of ours and ate half of what was a VERY large bird. If you see one, keep your distance!

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
They are 'viscious pieces of machinery' and, if one is spotted here locally in the campo, everyone will be out armed with stones and machetes until it is captured and killed. One managed to kill a male peacock of ours and ate half of what was a VERY large bird. If you see one, keep your distance!

Yes. I see that they are not very well liked here in the DR. What a surprise it was to see that creature. Here is a link to a Spanish language discussion of the creature: Ning?n lugar est? lejos... en RD: ¡Vi un jur?n!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In Canada, my friend bought a ferret..... as a pet and to keep the barn clean of rats, groundhogs, etc.

As far as the pests were concerned, it was a big success -- he pushed it down whatever hole and it did it s killing..... but it took a dislike to the owner (my friend).

It would come flying out of the hole and latch on to his throat....... he had a hard time training it as a pet.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I used to catch them (with traps) when I was a kid in our farm as they would kill chickens, guinea hens, etc...They're also very fond of eggs.

My grandmother had a very unpleasant experience with one of these. She was walking down a path and came upon a female huron and her babies and was immediately attacked and bitten several times. Thankfully my grandpa was following right behind and was able to kill it, but as other people have mentioned if you see one stay away...don't go try to pet it :eek:

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
In Portugal we call these critters "saca rabos" or "mangusto", some hunters train these animals to hunt rabbits and hares(they are slender and can get into rabbit burrows), , but many of them are still in the wild in the Iberian Peninsula, if they are in the wild I suggest to stay away from them :cool: Sacarrabos (Herpestes ichneumon) the page is in portuguese sorry. Is just to you see the fotos.
JT

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i find them little fellows super cute. see them often in costambar but they are pretty shy. they just run past in the distance. never get close to humans and/or their houses/gardens. i prefer it stays like this. because they could easily kill fatso, our cat. or be killed by our rotties.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
You say they are shy and keep their distance but there are exceptions to that rule. One was brave enough to actually come inside my covered terrace and run under the pool table recently but fortunately Shaka, the Ridgeback, dealt with him quickly and efficiently without getting bitten himself.

i find them little fellows super cute. see them often in costambar but they are pretty shy. they just run past in the distance. never get close to humans and/or their houses/gardens. i prefer it stays like this. because they could easily kill fatso, our cat. or be killed by our rotties.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My dog killed one that ran by the wife while she was in the pool when we lived in Bonao. Dog took off after it and chased it into the house killing it on the patio. My Dom wife grew up with them beiing around on a farm and she says that sometimes when they bit they will hang on until you burn them with fire. Stay away is good advice.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Mongoose are very fierce.. they are also paired with cobra's in pit fighting as they seem to have a natural resistance against the venom

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BZbohVrWajQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>...............