Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Saw Brown A Ferret Or Weasel Like Animal Today -Any Idea What It Is?

Hey all. I live in Santo Domingo Este. Today I saw a brown ferret or weasel looking animal run into a large solar. Anyone else seen these things? I looked on google to try to find out what it is - but it did not look like any of the native species. It is possible that it is an escaped pet.

Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like

That, my friend was a mongoose! Do not, repeat DO NOT, even think of getting close to one. They were imported to deal with rats but like so many of the 19th century experiments, it went totally the wrong way!!...Hutias in the US, that kudzu stuff?? whatever...you know what I mean...
    Here the mongoose and the bullfrog were major mistakes.

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Huron Maybe?

4. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suarezn View Post
    Huron Maybe?

Yes! It did look very much like that. So, its called a Huron? Looks like it was introduced to combat rats and it has become a pest itself. Today was the first time I have seen one. Thanks!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

They are 'viscious pieces of machinery' and, if one is spotted here locally in the campo, everyone will be out armed with stones and machetes until it is captured and killed. One managed to kill a male peacock of ours and ate half of what was a VERY large bird. If you see one, keep your distance!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whirleybird View Post
    They are 'viscious pieces of machinery' and, if one is spotted here locally in the campo, everyone will be out armed with stones and machetes until it is captured and killed. One managed to kill a male peacock of ours and ate half of what was a VERY large bird. If you see one, keep your distance!
    Yes. I see that they are not very well liked here in the DR. What a surprise it was to see that creature. Here is a link to a Spanish language discussion of the creature: Ningún lugar está lejos... en RD: ¡Vi un jurón!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

In Canada, my friend bought a ferret..... as a pet and to keep the barn clean of rats, groundhogs, etc.

As far as the pests were concerned, it was a big success -- he pushed it down whatever hole and it did it s killing..... but it took a dislike to the owner (my friend).

It would come flying out of the hole and latch on to his throat....... he had a hard time training it as a pet.

9. Likes frank12, Harleysrock liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to catch them (with traps) when I was a kid in our farm as they would kill chickens, guinea hens, etc...They're also very fond of eggs.

My grandmother had a very unpleasant experience with one of these. She was walking down a path and came upon a female huron and her babies and was immediately attacked and bitten several times. Thankfully my grandpa was following right behind and was able to kill it, but as other people have mentioned if you see one stay away...don't go try to pet it

11. Dislikes wuarhat disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Very sharp teeth

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

In Portugal we call these critters "saca rabos" or "mangusto", some hunters train these animals to hunt rabbits and hares(they are slender and can get into rabbit burrows), , but many of them are still in the wild in the Iberian Peninsula, if they are in the wild I suggest to stay away from them Sacarrabos (Herpestes ichneumon) the page is in portuguese sorry. Is just to you see the fotos.
    JT

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast