Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cost of Caregiver/Nurse ? Expectations

Anyone with personal experience....

I am not there yet...but planning. What should it cost to have a live in caregiver? This person would cook, clean and help with medical issues(pill dosing, insulin injections) and bathing issues for an elderly man.

Currently we have a great woman that watches out for Pops, does the house keeping and already some light cooking...just concerned when the medical part comes - may be time for a "nurse" so to speak.

Give the hard truth(as only DR1 folks can)....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caribeman View Post
    Anyone with personal experience....

I am not there yet...but planning. What should it cost to have a live in caregiver? This person would cook, clean and help with medical issues(pill dosing, insulin injections) and bathing issues for an elderly man.

Currently we have a great woman that watches out for Pops, does the house keeping and already some light cooking...just concerned when the medical part comes - may be time for a "nurse" so to speak.

Give the hard truth(as only DR1 folks can)....
    I am so glad that you started this thread and I do not yet have personal experience but I have given the subject a lot of thought as I have cared for a number of elders through their final passage. So first just let me say that you should think of having two or three.. for 24 7 coverage.. one is not going to be enoug.. Live in can be had for a little as 3000 pesos a month and food if there is someone who comes in and does the heavy cleaning.. which could be say.. 700 a week.. then get a professionaly nurse to do the nursing.

there is are three or four jobs involved in elder care

nursing is the most advanced and she should not be expected to do the cooking and the cleaning as well,,, not after she has go to the university

so I would say that really you will be looking at more that $500 ro $600 a month....perhaps much more. There are elder factilities run by Catholic sisters which a friend of mine placed her suegra in.. which obviously, she would not have done had she not consider the care to be top notch. From what I understuand. these run about $1000 a month.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks much for that to consider...Love the Blog...by the way...

Good to hear about the facility from the Sisters...if you would send me a PM of its detail, please. Just for the future planning.

Much appreciated.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you can manage w/ two people - my friend did it for his parents in Canada, at their house.

Better not to have a 3rd leg on the stool, less transfer of information.

Depending on where you are in RD, 1,000drp daily should do it (2 x 500)....

This is something we all think about - sooner or later

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i think you will have to do two people: a maid and a nurse. nurse would not want to clean and cook and maid cannot do injections and such.
    full time maid would be from 5k pesos a month up, depending on the location and hours. a nurse should be a bit more. you could get another nurse to stay the nights and help if needed. for 25k pesos (650 dollars) a month you could have a maid plus 24/7 nursing (2 women).