Giant Cetipedes in the DR

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Almost had a heart attack

I was turning on the light in the bathroom,there it was right between the sink and towel

ran upstairs ,we grabbed the toro something whatever and saturated it
all the legs fell off
nothing left but a dead worm,then we flushed it
never forget it lol
couldnot sleep all night
Manu

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
these buggers have a very nasty bite. we had dozens of them in the garden when we bought the house and had a major yard cleaning. swiftly killed by the workers who were dead scared of them.
then later on i saw two inside the house: a small one in a living room, killed by miesposo and a bigger one, killed and legless, gracefully presented on the bedroom floor by our cats.

apparently some of the cienpies sell for big bucks in america, where folks keep them as exotic pets. i explained to our gardener those little nasties actually cost money and he looked at me like i was completely nuts :)

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
Yea, saw my first one out in Cotui. It was eating a bone that was put out for the dogs. The dogs were standing there looking at it growling, but did not dare go close to it. They are freaky lil things.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I used to live in a first floor apartment, and the septic tank lid was just a few feet from my window. Every time they opened the lid for whatever, I was sure to find one of this ugly bastards in my kitchen or bathroom that night. My otherwise brave cat wouldn't touch it, baygon would not kill it, it just had to be cut in half for it to stop moving. I hear they are not poisonous but they do have a nasty bite or sting, as dv8 said. What a nightmare, I will never live in first floor apartments again.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Cover the drains and you will keep them out of the house. Dont wanna step on one going to the loo in the night. A sting you will forever remember

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
That's a cien pies and where is his (her) spouse ?? They are always together,it cannot be far away

She'll be around and very pi$$ed off. A know someone who killed one of these and literally two days later woke up with another one on her bed which bit her face. She was swollen and in pain for weeks...I'm sure it was just a coincidence or was it?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they are actually attracted to the hair, and i am not even joking. the longer the better. they crawl under the hair for protection, apparently.

and the bite is very painful. they should not be able to kill unless you are allergic or they sting in the throat/mouth/nose area.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
scolopendraangulata1.JPG
scolopendraangulata2.JPG

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
Years ago i used to drink the illegal liquor DR made and i later heard that some makers put in these in the mix. thats when i stopped. yuk

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I had also heard that these beasts are most often in couples.

Some while ago, we were sat out on the terrace in the evening and alerted by one of the dogs as one of these monsters reared up in the dog's face so it was soon captured and beaten to death with some difficulty. Just half an hour later, having retired indoors to the computer desks, my husband casually commented, "You were right about them travelling in pairs, look what I have on my thigh". I thought he was joking (winding me up) until I moved and there was the 'mate' larger and longer crawling over his leg. If it had been me, I would most certainly have been bitten as would have completely freaked out but he just sat where he was, remained still and quiet, until it crawled off........... it then fell into a drawer and eventually was captured after a major hunt and cut into 3 pieces with a machete. I understand that cutting in half doesn't always do the trick as both ends still function, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Always be careful with piled up clothes waiting to be washed. They love slightly dank and dark places...
I have seen a few...

HB

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Cover the drains and you will keep them out of the house. Dont wanna step on one going to the loo in the night. A sting you will forever remember

That happened to my mom about 13 years ago. Stung her on the ankle and to this day if she walks for a long time, it starts to throb. NOT fun.

OP, you might want to make sure it's dead... just saying!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
No more spray for me and will kill on sight...I am already looking over my shoulder for the mate