Gated Security Entrance

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
Hi Guys,

It's official and very shortly I am going to be moving to the Arroyo Manzano area of Santo Domingo. I would love to hear any feedback on this area from you guys good or bad.

I also would like to get your opinion on a matter. Like I said before I did not buy right away and want to rent for a year before I decide what I want to do permanently. To get into the community there is a small gated entrance with a Security Guard who had a huge shot gun. Apart from the rental fee for the house the owner told me that I would also have to pay a monthly fee of RD3000 for the security guard and that all the owners in the community did so. Can anyone give me any feedback on this? I totally understand homeowners associations and communal fees of the sort but what I would like to also know is if this amount seems about accurate to you guys. Thanks in advance!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
RD$3,000 for maintenance is not too bad, it should include more than just security, like gardening, services and cleaning of communal areas. In my experience the maintenance has always been included in the rent though.

Don't know much about the area, but it does put you near the Community for Learning school which is my top rated school in Santo Domingo.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I live nearby. Arroyo Manzano is a nice little neighborhood with a gated entrance, as you said. It is right next to the building site of the new US embassy, so I guess security is guaranteed. The access road is not excellent, but I guess that will improve when the embassy begins operations. Where I live I pay 2k/mo for mantenimiento and the watchmen are not even armed, so I guess 3k DOP is ok.

As I said I live nearby, so if you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

Good luck.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I always like a gun --- they turn midgets into giants.

3000drp doesn't sound bad - how many of you are paying??

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
I live nearby. Arroyo Manzano is a nice little neighborhood with a gated entrance, as you said. It is right next to the building site of the new US embassy, so I guess security is guaranteed. The access road is not excellent, but I guess that will improve when the embassy begins operations. Where I live I pay 2k/mo for mantenimiento and the watchmen are not even armed, so I guess 3k DOP is ok.

As I said I live nearby, so if you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

Good luck.

Thanks Castle!

I noticed the new embassy being built. Very nice. I also noticed a school next door to it. I think its called The Community for Learning? Since I have kids was wondering if it was a good school and if anyone knew about the tuition there.

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
RD$3,000 for maintenance is not too bad, it should include more than just security, like gardening, services and cleaning of communal areas. In my experience the maintenance has always been included in the rent though.

Don't know much about the area, but it does put you near the Community for Learning school which is my top rated school in Santo Domingo.

Hey Chiri! I did notice that school as we passed by. For some reason getting a tuition fee out of the schools there is like pulling teeth and almost never published on websites. I didn't have a lot of time to stop by and have a chat in person and get the run around when I call. Would you happen to know what the fees are like there for an 8 year old in 3rd grade? Thanks!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My son was there several years ago so any information I have on prices will be very out of date. I think your best bet is to go in person.