Dominican Car Anti-Theft Device

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Tuesday I had to back the Montero Sport out of the driveway so a guest could leave. I did so and backed in into an area to park so I could direct the guest out. I didn't have much room and the exit was rather clumsy. I left it running knowing I'd be right back.

I got the guest out.

I returned to the car...and it wasn't running. And would not start. Lots of fuel in the tank, full battery...and it just would not start. I had a couple of guys help push it back into the drive.

It killed our planned Wednesday Duffers Golf Outing in Santiago.

I called our mechanic who helped us buy the car in the first place. He was bringing back the van and trailer from Santiago anyway so he came Wednesday late morning. He arrived and I showed him it wouldn't start. Lifted the hood and didn't notice any wires amiss.

He got back into the SUV, fiddled with something low...and it fired right up as it always had.

:eek::confused:

Seems the prior owner had installed a hidden rocker switch that powered the fuel injector system, turning it on or off. It was mounted *above* the bottom dash plastic where it just took a slight "push" in a particular place to kill the EFI system. Seems I must have kicked it getting out the day before.

Interesting system. A little nudge under the lower dash plastic and the car wouldn't go anywhere.

Ingenious. And hidden.

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
In Hondas and Fiats I had installed always a power cuts,(this brands are very easy to steal), but never Inside the cabin, too easy to find:cool:,I used to install the button under the hood (there are many places inside to hide) or in the trunk, in that places was not easy to detect, but all these security systems can also be disabled.
It's all a matter of luck, I guess
JT

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
There are variations of this system. Some require you to push three or four different parts of the dash in a specific order to disarm the system. On the down side, proliferation of this kind of systems eventually prompts thieves to WAIT for the owner in order to steal the vehicle at gun point. Here in DR we're not there yet, and I hope we never will.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
-"Sir, You need help starting that car?"
-"Yes, please! Are you a mechanic?"
-"Nah...just a carjacker...but they call me McGyver..."