Can you pay a taxi with USD?

europeanboy29

Nov 11, 2012
If you come to Santo Domingo around 3.15 am. And want to take a taxi from the airport to the city. Can you pay with USD? I am from Sweden and I think it would maybe be hard to find Dominican Pesos here.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
If you come to Santo Domingo around 3.15 am. And want to take a taxi from the airport to the city. Can you pay with USD? I am from Sweden and I think it would maybe be hard to find Dominican Pesos here.

Taxis' will take USD. BUT they will NEVER HAVE CHANGE. So if the taxi fee is USD $20. and you only have a USD $50, you don't get the USD $30 change. Got it? And at that hour you are Not GOING TO GET ANY HELP.

In your case, exchange USD $100. into pesos at YOUR airport or exchange before you get on your flight. Get the price of your taxi from airport to hotel in pesos BEFORE you get into the taxi.

Good luck.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I usually arrive from the USA at about that time.
I pay 1,500 pesos to Arroyo Hondo SD.
If I don't have pesos, the fair is usually $30.00 US.
Have that money is your shirt pocket BEFORE you leave the airport!
I STRONGLY suggest, you don't have more than $100.00 US on your person when you arrive.
They have been a lot of robberies on "Las Americas" highway in recent months.
(see US Dept. Of State "Travel Advisories" about the dangers of traveling that highway after dark.
NEVER take out your wallet until you reach your destination.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
It sets a bad precedent- and I as a Dominican national frown
upon such precedents for a slew of reasons.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Agree with CC. The fare from the airport into Santo Domingo averages around $30-$40. When I have had to take a taxi even in daytime I still have only a limited amount of cash on me and I keep the money for the taxi in a pocket so I do not have to take out my wallet or rummage through my purse in front of anyone. I always tell family/friends that come to visit to put the money for their taxi and their $10.00 entry fee in their pocket so no one will ever have to see their cash stash...And yes as Ringo points out get the price BEFORE you get into the taxi..That is very important..

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

The taxi drivers will quote your fare in dollars first unless you insist on using pesos which I always do. I also always bring a small supply of USD for just-in-case-of money. I stash my USD upon check-in and use them only when the ATM option is imprudent (like at 3am).

Never change your money at a US airport. The rates there are worse than at SDQ. There are ATM's in the airport but if they are all out of order (I've seen this only once) then it's good to have change for a $50. I keep a 20, a 10, two 5's and 10 ones in the pocket with my passport on departure day. I also carry $5K-$6KRD from the previous trip just in case the hotel is out of change.

At 3am be prepared to spent $35-$40 for the trip into the city. There's little room for negotiation ay that time of the morning.

Jan 22, 2010
pay inside the taxi...why opening wallett outside for no reason...at 3 am
pickpockets you have everywhere but once inside a taxi you are safer then in your own country...
some people want to scare others for no reason

T.E.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You have little leverage at 3am...... just hand over two $20's = US $$$.

A happy taxi man is a safe taxi man....