Selling my car in the DR

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hey, Have a few questions about selling my car. Have a Jeepeta which I paid 525,000 used from a used car dealer. I added about 10,000 miles. It is still in similar condition as when I bought it. How much less is it now worth selling privately as compared to buying from a dealer?? My friend who is selling it for me is in Cabarete. Where should he advertise it??

I likely will not be present for the sale of the car. What does my friend have do in order to sell it?? Any special considerations because the owner (me) will not be there for the sale?? thanks, tom

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
There are a lot of factors in how much you can get.. really depends on how fast you want to sell it and even that's a sensitive matter since it will depreciate over time just sitting around (not as much here as in the US). If you want, you can PM me (I live in Cabarete) , and I can take a look and maybe help you out by posting up an ad at playero/janets if you want.. I sold my range rover a month ago after buying it about 1.5 years ago for only 10% less than I paid for it which was a good deal for me, the gas mileage on it was getting ridiculous so I decided to get something smaller

Jan 22, 2010
which jeepeta is it if it is CRV 2001 there will be buyers enough but price hmmm depend on a lot of factors

where to sell...rent cars is the place to be....

T.E.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
The cost of used cars in the US are going to go up because of Super Storm Sandy. I would guess less used cars will be sent to the DR causing the prices there to go up also. Depends also on the exchange rate when purchased. Go for the ful RD525,000. Or sell it for 65% over US blue book value. Thats my 2 centavos.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Does your friend have power of attorney otherwise he will need to sign your name on the sales contract and will need a color copy of your passport for documentation at the motor vehicle offices. Your current marbate sticker expires this month. Have you replaced it? I hope you have full trust in the person selling your vehicle. It is a much more complicated process and will take the better part of 2 days to get it completed.

LTSteve

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Hope is a good "fren" othewise you are driving into problems. I would not do it this way iffin it was me. Either sell it cheaper for a quick sale or take the time to advertise and use the sale as an excuse to come back for a week or two to effect the sale once you have a buyer. good luck

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I appreciate the offer. A friend in Cabarete will be listing it for me.

There are a lot of factors in how much you can get.. really depends on how fast you want to sell it and even that's a sensitive matter since it will depreciate over time just sitting around (not as much here as in the US). If you want, you can PM me (I live in Cabarete) , and I can take a look and maybe help you out by posting up an ad at playero/janets if you want.. I sold my range rover a month ago after buying it about 1.5 years ago for only 10% less than I paid for it which was a good deal for me, the gas mileage on it was getting ridiculous so I decided to get something smaller

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Thanks for the info. The person selling it for me is from the midwest, like me, and I would trust him with my life. Is a color copy of my passport all that is required for him to sell it??

Does your friend have power of attorney otherwise he will need to sign your name on the sales contract and will need a color copy of your passport for documentation at the motor vehicle offices. Your current marbate sticker expires this month. Have you replaced it? I hope you have full trust in the person selling your vehicle. It is a much more complicated process and will take the better part of 2 days to get it completed.

LTSteve

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
No the passport is needed of course , but for a sale to be completed now , there is an additional requirement that you must get a police report that the car is in fact Not stolen , which must be had , before the tax stamp can be got , to complete sale . That is if you want I'd done the proper legal way .... I sold a motorcycle 9 months ago and had to do this ! The police report is good for max 30 days. Then u could only obtain it Santiago and I believe this still holds true . Lawyer time or your friend needs to do this just prior to sale

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
We have a glut of used cars in USA i agree. most all lots in houston are jammed with cars. 1000's of them.you also have free craigslist adds now in RD

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
We have a glut of used cars in USA i agree. most all lots in houston are jammed with cars. 1000's of them.you also have free craigslist adds now in RD

Matter of logistics my friend. I am on the east coast and i deal in used cars. Houston is not the east coast. I also have people that have crashed and burntin the DR car import business. It will be more like 6 months before all wrecked cars can be replaced with current inventory and these people need vehicles to make a living.

And with all those cars getting wipeout in NY/NJ i would get carfax cause some may be earmarked for the DR.

MBGMIKE, please send me links to all these cars, vans, pick-ups and suv's. If they are not Katrina leftovers then they will sell on the EC. But the 1600 miles might not make it worth the extra grand. Guys are getting $250 plus a return Amtrac ticket for driving cars from Dover NH to Newark. 8 to 10,000 used cars are needed asap.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
Matter of logistics my friend. I am on the east coast and i deal in used cars. Houston is not the east coast. I also have people that have crashed and burntin the DR car import business. It will be more like 6 months before all wrecked cars can be replaced with current inventory and these people need vehicles to make a living.

And with all those cars getting wipeout in NY/NJ i would get carfax cause some may be earmarked for the DR.

MBGMIKE, please send me links to all these cars, vans, pick-ups and suv's. If they are not Katrina leftovers then they will sell on the EC. But the 1600 miles might not make it worth the extra grand. Guys are getting $250 plus a return Amtrac ticket for driving cars from Dover NH to Newark. 8 to 10,000 used cars are needed asap.

will send some links, the worlds largest internet auto sales sites are all in houston. i buy and sell and yes i shipped some to virginia and it was 900.00 recently. i think most of the katrina cars went to russia jajjajaj