Winter Wonderland in Santo Domingo!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I have just had a meeting today and seen plans for a Winter Wonderland that will be held in the Olympic Stadium in Santo Domingo from the 20th of December that will be filled with REAL SNOW!

The events will be held in the Volleyball stadium that holds 3,000 people, three times a day for three weeks and will include a tobogan run, a childs snow play area, a christmas market, snowman workshop, a Ballet performance of the Nutcracker suit, childrens choir, Santas Grotto and or course some aerial acts ;)

It really does look amazing and after seeing the plans and schedule i cant wait to go myself to experience that real christmas feeling and to take my husband and children who have never experienced real snow.

I am sure people will start seeing advertising very soon, but I just wanted to tell everyone that I think it would be worth the trip as I know alot of the things that will happening.

No idea how much it costs as yet or where/how to buy tickets but when i do i will post here.

So excited!!

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
Thanks for the information. I know several people that woud love to see snow for the first time.

On a side note, there is a Human Body exhibit opening up this weekend at Agora Mall. It looks pretty cool.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
DR would have plenty human body exhibitions, absolutely free, if only they would allow and embrace the idea of topless beaches...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Actually, a good business idea would be a car wash run by women.

They did it in Toronto years ago - a wet T-Shirt car wash............... it was taking candy from a baby.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

Well, all carwashes in DR are basically "run" by women. Only they are not the ones actually washing the cars...;)

Back on topic, I wonder how expensive it is to create a continuous source of snow in this heat...

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Well, all carwashes in DR are basically "run" by women. Only they are not the ones actually washing the cars...;)

Back on topic, I wonder how expensive it is to create a continuous source of snow in this heat...

From what I understand it is a Australian chemical engineer and a team of europeans creating the snow, they have been doing it in Puerto Rico for the last few years and huge success.

I want to go just to laugh at the Dominicans experiencing REAL cold...Hilarious!

They also will have a Snow ball wars area!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo, with all his travelling never saw snow until two years ago when i took him home for xmas. we had really, really white winter that year and very low temperatures. i bought him thermal long johns, wooly hat with ear flaps and few meters long woolen scarf. poor thing would wear his thermal leggings, jeans, thick socks, a t-shirt, polo, long sleeve shirt, sweater and a jacket plus a hat and a scarf.
i made him walk all those meals my mother was stuffing into his belly so twice or three times a day we would venture out with my father (no gloves, no scarf, no hat, open jacket) for looong walks: first dad clearing the path, myself in the middle translating and blabbing about millions of things, and then miesposo, walking like mummified penguin, in the snow knee deep. :)

after coming back home to DR he said he has seen enough snow to last him a lifetime :) and what did he think about it? cold and wet. pretty but cold and wet.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
They should hire some retired expats to demonstrate snow shoveling techniques.

I haven't seen snow in ten years. I'll pass thanks.

Growing up our house had seven diferent shovels for different snow conditions and an iron digging bar for severe ice conditions.

:D

Last edited:

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012

They did it in Toronto years ago - a wet T-Shirt car wash............... it was taking candy from a baby.

I suggested this is a Dominicana a few weeks ago. She told me women don't do that work because it is seen as low class work.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I See this is Happening the 19th to the 26th
I Found the Winter Wonderland Puerto Rico Website
Winter Wonderland 2011

Will it be worth the trip from the North with 2 small kids ?
Being Canadian , snow doesn't thrill me but my son has not seen it yet !

Are there any other Links

Found these

Nieve en Santo Domingo con Winter Wonderland

From 19 to 26 December, Volleyball Hall of Juan Pablo Duarte Olympic Center will serve as the setting for this initiative that first comes to country to fill Christmas magic.

Gilbert Rodriguez, representative of Winter Wonderland for the Dominican Republic, said that "for three hours will be a unique experience of family entertainment with magic and fantasy of a 'White Christmas'. It will combine the magic of the season through live music, dances, theatrical miniobras, comedies, animated characters, a cast of professionals and more interactive fantasy. A North Pole temperature, feel the sensation of being out of the country, with real snow, so it's important not to forget warm ".

It was announced that there will be three shifts a day (morning, afternoon and evening), with a limited number of 1500 people per batch. The tickets are already on sale in Uepa Tickets, Moviemax, National Supermarkets and Jumbo, with an affordable cost of 800 pesos (boys) and 1200 pesos (adults).

Winter Wonderland started 15 years ago in London, Ireland and Amsterdam, where he created the engineering to produce snow in hot countries or where there is simply no snow.
He began performing in Australia and continued with great success in countries like Mexico, Brazil, United States and Puerto Rico.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My brother used to tell this story. We lived in upstate NY at the time. He said,

"I am going to tie a snow shovel to the roof of my car. Then I am going to drive south. The first place where they ask me, "What is that?", I am going to stop there and live."

He never really did that, spending all of his life in upstate NY in what I consider one of the most miserable weather areas to live. I could stand that climate less than he could. I got out, having lived in California and now the DR. I really, really, really don't like snow where I live.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The tickets are already on sale in Uepa Tickets, Moviemax, National Supermarkets and Jumbo, with an affordable cost of 800 pesos (boys) and 1200 pesos (adults).

affordable? to the rich, yes. but not to the average dominican. 4.000 pesos for a single outing of a family of four? this is a lot of money.

:(

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
William, you must not go to very many Dominican "Car Washes"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The girls are inside, not outside washing your car.
But they will gladly go to a "Cabana" with you and wash ANYTHING else you have.
You gotta get out more!
I don't have my own car anymore, but I still have the urge to visit a "Car Wash" now and again!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
So, WinterWonderland Has extended until Jan. 7, 2013, has anybody gone to report back, I got a couple days off and want to know if it's worth it to take the kids, ages 4, 6, 6 & 10?????