Need Urgent Help - Anyone In Boca Chica - Banco Popular ATM Robbed Me!

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
Ok, so I saw a thread about a week or 2 ago about a guy that was robbed by the Banco Popular ATM in Boca Chica. I replied that I, too, had been robbed by the ATM. I have called my bank, and Popular and each tells me to talk to the other. Finally, my bank told me today that I have to call the number on the Boca Chica Popular ATM. If anyone is in Boca Chica soon, please write down the number on the Popular ATM (if there is one) and post it here or PM it to me.

Also, anyone who has been through this, if you have any solutions - I would appreciate it if you let me know. Thanks!

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
Hi DQ,it happend to me at Banco Popular in Sosua a few years ago.I tried twice to withdraw 5,000 pesos.Didn't get the money or a receipt.When I return home,the money was withdraw from my account.
After many phone calls to my bank,I told them that I was returning to Sosua and that I would take care of it with BP.I asked for the name of everyone they talked to in sosua.They said that they would call me back with the info.Instead,my account was credited the money I lost.
I think that your bank should help you.You will get nowhere with BP.
Regards

Mike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I went through this a few years ago. You don't need any numbers from the machine, your bank knows exactly which bank and machine it was. Put a claim in with YOUR bank, wherever it is.

When it happened to us my husbands brother was a VP with the bank whose machine didn't spit any money out and even he could do nothing.

We called our US bank and the immediately put the money back in our account while they investigated. We had to sign a Visa document (they issued our ATM card through our bank) and after a week or so they told us the money was in our account permanently.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I went through this a few years ago. You don't need any numbers from the machine, your bank knows exactly which bank and machine it was. Put a claim in with YOUR bank, wherever it is.

When it happened to us my husbands brother was a VP with the bank whose machine didn't spit any money out and even he could do nothing.

We called our US bank and the immediately put the money back in our account while they investigated. We had to sign a Visa document (they issued our ATM card through our bank) and after a week or so they told us the money was in our account permanently.

You are assuming The OP is from The USA, what if his account is @ another Dominican bank, SOL?

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
My bank is Bank of America. I have called twice and they have not been helpful in resolving this issue at all.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Same thing with me. Robbed twice using atm machines. BP one time and Banco Santa Cruz the other. US banks made good on the money. With BP it was done using empolyees who gave out the account #s and the money was withdrawn to a company in India of all places.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I tried to get money from the BP atm in Sosua, 2 days ago. I tried twice (they have two machines), and both times the transaction was timed out.

I went home and checked my account online. Well, both times the requested amount had been taken out, but also both times the same amount had been redeposited withing minutes.

I guess I was lucky.

BelgianK

WILLIAN60

Jul 23, 2010
Happened to me at a BP ATM in San Pedro, using a Bank of American Debit Card. It took two weeks, but my account was credited. Also, be careful with Bank of America. You MUST tell them that you are travelling. Otherwise, they will reject all
transactions, and have your card detained by the ATM. Had to use Xoom to wire money to myself, which worked perfectly.

WILLIAN60

Jul 23, 2010
Also, be careful of the telephone number that you use for your banking. I supplied my landline number only to learn that, for secuurity purposes, companies will want to call you back before resolving the problem. Major Fail when you are using a phone in an Internet Cafe!

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
My bank is Bank of America. I have called twice and they have not been helpful in resolving this issue at all.

I had "Bank That Ate America" They have a special division that deals with ATM issues. You have to go through the entire phone tree at the toll free number, it is toward the end. There is also a OUTSIDE the US number to call : "1.423.262.1651 for Customer Service outside of the U.S." that deals with card issues... if you have not already reached them.

I resolved my problem by MOVING EVERYTHING TO SCOTIA and never dealing with them AGAIN.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
same here, also had problems with BancoPopular - in Santiago. one time transaction was timed out - no money were deducted from my account, second time it was deducted (no timeout at ATM but it just didn't give me any money and receipt) but returned to my account within few minutes. Bank accounts from Europe....
I tried to get money from the BP atm in Sosua, 2 days ago. I tried twice (they have two machines), and both times the transaction was timed out.

I went home and checked my account online. Well, both times the requested amount had been taken out, but also both times the same amount had been redeposited withing minutes.

I guess I was lucky.

BelgianK