Mondongo - You Have Been Warned!!!!

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
Here is a little excerpt from my most recent blog post that I posted to my blog that I keep to write my experience here in the DR:

"I had gone to a friend's house to eat many times. Every time I went, her mom prepared a special meal for me. Her mom really did make me feel super welcomed and appreciated. So, one day when the family was talking about tipico (typical) Dominican dishes, I jumped on the chance to try Mondongo. They explained to me what it is - basically it's a dish made from all the parts of the cow that people don't normally eat - from tripe, intestines, to knee cartilage. I told her that I would love to try it one day. That day came last night.

So, here I was, waiting on the night's dinner. We had already snacked on chicharon - a kind of fried pigfat - something like bacon. Now, there is a dish called Mofongo - which is mashed fried platanos (something like bananas) with chicharon mixed in. I had already had that dish and I thought we were about to eat it again last night. But, to my surprise, we were going to eat Mondongo. As soon as the smell of the stewed cow insides hit my nose - I knew I was in for quite the experience."

Anyone else have an experience with Mondongo? Share!<o:p></o

Last edited:

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
DominicanQuest........you are a BRAVE guy!!!! Couldn`t pay me to try that, YUCK!!!!!!! :eek:gre: Reminds me of that old TV show and for the life of me I can`t remember. Anybody remember??

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
The only time I don't "bite the bullet" and eat something to make my hosts happy is Modongo! It just ain't happening. Family members, cohorts etc. love it, but I just can't. I have eaten bofe, granos de Gallo and other "rare" fare, but draw the line at modongo....I am sure others will chime in and tell me I don't know what I'm missing....I can live with that.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have a lot of people in my class try to convince me to eat mondongo but I tell them as long as it is marinated in limon for a while and cut really small I would do it.

BTW, aren't natural casing sausages made from the same thing?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I must admit the old saying that once you get by the smell you've got it licked just doesn't work for me with Mondongo. I just can't get it down my throat.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I've been eating mondongo for years.I add onions,potatoes,herbs and tomatoe sauce.
It tastes good to me.:)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i loooove mondongo! in poland we have a similar dish, in form of a soup, it is called flaki, literally guts.
it looks like this:
2uhwcxl.jpg

so when miesposo once told me about this dominican dish made from intestines that i would not ever eat i said: damn, you be kidding me! :)
dominican mondongo is more like a stew, very rico. i tried that dish in colombia too where it is more soup like, like in poland.
here is colombian mondongo:
nt82w.jpg

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
i loooove mondongo! in poland we have a similar dish, in form of a soup, it is called flaki, literally guts.
it looks like this:
2uhwcxl.jpg

so when miesposo once told me about this dominican dish made from intestines that i would not ever eat i said: damn, you be kidding me! :)
dominican mondongo is more like a stew, very rico. i tried that dish in colombia too where it is more soup like, like in poland.
nt82w.jpg

I've heard you also have rellenos (Cabbage rolls stuffed with rice and beef).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes. we call them gołąbki:
2qav137.jpg

i made this dish maybe twice in all those years. it is a lot of work.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ha ha, i need to set up free 24hrs to spend in the kitchen and cook some polish dishes like gołąbki or pierogi and then invite some dr1ers :)
i have new found respect for my mother who's been cooking every day for nearly 40 years of marriage!

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
it looks like this:
2uhwcxl.jpg

nt82w.jpg

looks gross wherever you serve it lol

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
ha ha, i need to set up free 24hrs to spend in the kitchen and cook some polish dishes like gołąbki or pierogi and then invite some dr1ers :)
i have new found respect for my mother who's been cooking every day for nearly 40 years of marriage!
Last time in La Sirena we found some sauerkraut. When we come back in Jan. we will make sure to make these often. It's always good to cook familiar things. I love to cook & found it a bit challenging at first down here!

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I am very sad about Mondongo. Back when I lived in the UK I frequently ate Tripe and Onions, delicious. I tried to make some here but it was horrible, a smell that put you off everything. From asking around I have learned that here Tripe is not dressed and bleached . If anyone can tell me what to ask for to get Tripe fully dressed and bleached feel free to tell me.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
In the southern US they eata dish called chitlins , cooked intestins, the Italians eat tripe , the lining of a cows stomach.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Mexican Menudo is probably very similar.....at least the ingredients are......they love it and I skip it.

I tried to eat menudo once in New Mexico. It was one of the few meals I ordered I could not eat. I won't eat mondongo nor does anyone in my Dominican family.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
granca, i have no idea what you mean by dressed and bleached. tripe requires quite a lot of preparation.
in DR you can buy tripe in chunks, for the lack of a better word. you wash them in warm water and clean on the inside with a knife or a tooth brush. you rub a bit of salt in them, wash again, rub more salt, wash again.
then into the pot, fill with cold water, bring to the boil. sieve. wash in warm water again. back into the pot. boil. sieve, wash again.
then you put them to boil one last time, for the soup/stew. they will need to boil for about 4 hours. only after they are ready you fish them out of the pot and cut into pieces/stripes.

this is how it is done in PL, i am pretty sure in DR it is kinda similar process... and yes, those first boil and sieve smell real bad. this is why i wisely never make mondongo at home. i have wormed my way into the heart of miesposo's lovely tia who invites us over every time she has those made. and i ask for that as often as i can :) she likes to see me eat dominican dishes with enthusiasm and joy :)

btw, some germans here may chip in whether they have a similar dish too. if they do there is a good chance that a german butcher in sosua will be able to prep tripe for you (clean and pre-cook, just like you buy it back home).