Best internet service in Santiago

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I need the absolute best internet service available in Santiago, also TV with american channels would be great, cost is no factor in this decision, I need consistency and speed as far as internet goes, let me know what you guys have experienced!

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
There is codetel - claro installed in the house that I am living in....And suprisingly that's the only thing here that works like swiss clock - never any downtimes (unless there is electricity of course), and speed is always as promised....so i would recommend them...after 3 weeks of living here absolutely ZERO problems with them.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You want to go with Claro or Tricom. You need UPS systems on the modem and for you computer(s), since when the light go out the modem goes off and so does the Internet.

Tricom is offering some great packages that are tempting and so does Claro. Cost for hundreds of channels, Internet and phone can be about 6000 for high speed.

I currently have Aster and Cablenet cables services (645 each a month) and Claro Internet (376 Kbps) and a house phone (2500 a month) For my needs more than enough. What is pi$$ing me off is that they are now using the Spanish language version of NFL on CBS on Sundays!!! I hate that. F?tbol, beisbol and F-1, is okay but not Nascar or NFL...

HB

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Via Satellite

... also TV with american channels would be great...

We get those via a satellite dish*.
I can send you some details in a PM.

donP

*)
We also have the internet via satellite (for 60$/month), but the speed is nothing to write home about.
What I like about it, is its reliability.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I believe satellite systems are subject to outages due to heavy cloud cover.

I have claro and it is reliable, fast and inexpensive.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
I believe satellite systems are subject to outages due to heavy cloud cover.

1 day =24 hours= 1440 minutes.
1 month= 1440 minutes x 30= 43200 minutes

If you have the right equipment your outages due to rain or heavy cloud is less (per month) than 7 minutes/43200.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Anyone know if claro's fiber optic (fibra optica) plans are available in Santiago? that would be epic!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
6ft and 4ft

If you have the right equipment your outages due to rain or heavy cloud is less (per month) than 7 minutes/43200.

My 6ft dish for TV has very few outages; only in heavy downpours or when thick thunderstorm clouds are interfering with the sat connection.

Recently I exchanged my 6-footer for the internet with a 4ft. dish (made by the US provider) and I do get a slightly weaker signal strength. This comes along with an earlier outage in heavy rain, but I prefer the smaller dish as it would stand a cat. 1 hurricane easily.

donP