Gas Prices

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I just got to Boston and was surprised at the gas prices. Here it is about $3.59 US per gallon while in the DR it is about 240 RD per gallon. That is a huge difference. I thought that the DR got their gas from Venezuela so you would think it would be less expensive. What is the difference dur to? Is it taxes?

Feb 7, 2007
Huge taxes. And most of the "payments" for oil is done on 20-year credit under Petrocaribe agreement. So the government not only takes in taxes, but keeps the majority of "crude oil" portion of the gas revenues.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I just got to Boston and was surprised at the gas prices. Here it is about $3.59 US per gallon while in the DR it is about 240 RD per gallon. That is a huge difference. I thought that the DR got their gas from Venezuela so you would think it would be less expensive. What is the difference dur to? Is it taxes?

Sadly, it doesnt matter where and at what price they pay for oil, they will sell it at as high a price as they can get.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Also, the DR doesn't have the army to fight oil wars in order to get it cheaper...

DR gets the oil from Venezuela, but according to Petrocaribe conditions oil is sold at a reduced price only if the international price is higher than $100/barrel. Otherwise, oil is sold to regular price but with really easy and long term financing...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
SAme in Canada.......... about $1.25-1.30/L last time I was there....... and Canada produces it own oil/gas !!!
All taxes.

$1.25 x 4 = 1 USgal = $5/gal = 200DRP

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
If you think prices are high here, you should take a driving tour in the UK or most of Europe!
You so right in Portugal 1L of gaz costs 1.68€ and diesel 1.50€ :mad: do the mat.And even worse when you consider that the minimum monthly income is 485 € and the medium is 900 € is best to ride a bicycle:cool:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
You so right in Portugal 1L of gaz costs 1.68€ and diesel 1.50€ :mad: do the mat.And even worse when you consider that the minimum monthly income is 485 € and the medium is 900 € is best to ride a bicycle:cool:

A lot healthier, too.

One of the reasons the EU has such a fabulous mass transit system is because they tax gas like crazy. Most of the best parts of Europe could fit inside Texas and Arizona, so our logistics are a bit different, but you could make a really strong case for building out the train systems on the East and West coasts. Still, I would be for a moderate increase in gas taxes if the funds were used in a responsible manner to support mass transit and alternative fuels/transport research to help get us out of our dependency on foreign oil.

The faster we get away from the lunacy in the Middle East, the better.

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
I agree with you, when the world get rid of the dependence of Middle East oil, the only thing that sheiks will have to sell will be sand for construction buildings, and they can drink the oil ;)
JT