Leeches??? How to get rid of them?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Someone we know has a finca on the south coast, and there is a small pond on it. The problem is that there are leeches in the pond, when the animals drink there they get leeches on their bodies.

He was told the only way to get rid of them is to poison the water, but he won't do that because not only do the animals drink there, he uses the water for some irrigation. Also, when there are heavy rains it floods and runs onto neighboring properties.

Anyone have experience or suggestions on getting rid of the leeches??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks, sounds rather simple. Was too early for me to think about Google I guess :) I was thinking it was uniquely Dominican [duh, I know]

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
This is one creature that freaks me out...Here are a couple of articles on getting rid of them without poison and chemicals.

How To Remove Leeches From Your Pond Without Chemicals

How to Get Rid of Leeches in a Pond | eHow.com

Google is your friend...

Ya... I Googled too and found the same stuff but figured that everyone else beat me to it.

If you have a leech on you or animal, pour some salt on it. It will back out and can be removed without leaving the head and possible infection. I did not learn this from the movie Filthy Leeches Scene from The African Queen Movie (1951) | MOVIECLIPS

Someone else can post the clip. (or just click on the link ... it works fine)