Duty Free barrels and boxes for Christmas??

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I just saw the below news item on DR1 news. The part I want to clarify is in RED.

3. DGA announces Christmas duty-free period
The Department of Customs (DGA) has announced the application of the traditional Christmas tax grace beginning on 1 December and lasting until 7 January 2013. This special tax-free period will allow Dominicans who live overseas to bring tax-free presents for their family and friends for a value of US$3,000 free of taxes, as long as they have not entered the country during the last six months. The Christmas Grace Period was instituted by Law 9-96 of 9 September 1996, as a way of recognizing and rewarding the expatriate Dominican community's significant economic contributions.

For the first time, this year the Department of Customs has decreed that due to the baggage restrictions imposed by the airlines during this season, presents can be sent by courier under the same conditions.

<tbody>
</tbody>

I realize that Christmas tax grace period is supposed to be for only DR citizens, but I think Residents have used it successfully. But this "sent by courier" could be very useful, since no Gringo would be standing there to eyeball. Does "sent by courier" mean a barrel or box???

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I am thinking maybe a big screen tv that you could leave in it's original box so it would make it without breaking. And lots of other heavy, bulky things.....electronic or not. The only things I know that are duty free now are used clothing and food in those barrels/boxes shipped by boat.

I just want to know if by "couriers" they are including those shippers and/or the air shippers???