Spain offers permanent residency status to foreigners buying houses

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Oh well, soon they will start giving residencia to anyone who wants to open a bank account...so bad are things up there...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oh well, soon they will start giving residencia to anyone who wants to open a bank account...so bad are things up there...

Thats all I did..... put $5k in the bank and started the process...... in 2008, that was kosher

BTW, Bahamas has an accelersted residency process for homeowners.... I think the threshold is $250,000

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Investor Residency

This 'paradise' offers an investor residency to those who invest 200,000$ in a local business.

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think in the US it's $500,000, but in business investment...so $250,000 for Bahamas might look steep for some...

ChessMan,
Yes, 1/2M in the US in a distressed area w/ an employment minimum is the new rule.

I went in on an E-2, $250K .... a few yrs later it was up to $1M......

Actually, for people looking for Bahamas, etc - it involves'exiting'the home country for more than 6mo a year....
those people who need to exit are a different breed/tax bracket..... they'll save that 250 quickly.

If you catch my drift , SnowFlake

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Spain has a serious oversupply of vacation homes and condos with sales in the doldrums, an economic stagnation with an extremely high unemployment rate. They need to reactivate the economy somehow.

The DR hasn't seen a crisis like that at least since the 1980s.

The DR can create an offer similar to that, but it doesn't have to.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

One would think it would help the economy including all the spin-off for the DR.
There is a big segment of retirees in the US, Canada and Europe with disposable income.
Countries such as Malaysia and Thailand are actively seeking this segment.
Cambodia is a cheap alternative and supposedly safe.
The DR would do well to re-think their policies to attract real estate investment with an automatic residency.

Spain has an unemployment rate of 26%.
The real estate boom is long over with many vacant houses and condos on the market, and abandoned projects.
The cost of living increases and Euro make it a bargain no longer.
The best educated are offered good jobs in Germany and are relocating there.

DBrown

Nov 20, 2012
I think it's a graet news for the people, who are aiming at residing here in Spain. As the Government of Spain is offering a permanent residency status for the foreigners, who are buying homes in spain. With this step they are not only earning a lot of foreign exchange but also inviting a lot of other foreigners to come and live there in Spain.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I really like Spain ,if there only would be a little bit more functioning than Barcelona and Real Madrid (lets see for how long time more...).

Sad, because Spain is the most beautiful country in Europe (in my eyes)...