ford ranger 1997

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone, what do you think about ford ranger STX. I saw one, year 95, 4 cylinders, mecanical transmission, obviously very neat condition. Drives very well. Is it a good choice for DR? Price around 4500 us$
Thanks for your opinion

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
A friend of mine has a mazda B2500 and I think the ford ranger has the same engine, you need to pay attention to water leaks in the radiator, he burned the powerhead with just 90.000klm:(.
He is also a bit distracted and when the temperature light kindled he did not stop the car:speechles (no comments;))
JT

May 5, 2007
Anyone has an opinion about that car. Is it a good choice for DR? :)

I have had two friends own mid 90's Rangers, two big problems: Severe rust of front underpinnings , body mounts, brake lines etc and unbelievably poor gas mileage (16-18mpg) for small under powered vehicle

Other than that, they liked them

expect to replace front suspension, shock towers etc

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
yes obviously in great shape and working with lpg system under the truck (not just a tank in the back...)

May 29, 2006
Seems very pricey for a Ranger that old, but I will say those things are as tough as mules. My dad has one that is even older and despite some VERY heavy abuse, it has held up for over ten years now. Very good suspension for its size and good road clearance if you are on back roads. If you have the 4 wheel drive and extra low gear, you can go just about anywhere. We used his mostly for hauling firewood and dragging trees out of the woods that we had cut down.

And yeah, don't expect great mileage.