Spain - automatic residency?

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
well thats because none is buying there. Economical situation is an every day growing disaster
:)

May 12, 2005
well thats because none is buying there. Economical situation is an every day growing disaster
:)

I am sure that their thinking is that by attracting ex-pats, most of whom are financially independent, would only benefit the economy as they buy services and products.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Desperate measures. A few years ago they were denying entrance to tourists they thought were going to stay as inmigrants, and sending them back home...talk about karma...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If that becomes a new regulation, and that is doubtful, it is for people with 160,000 Euros to spend in what is becoming a disaster area. Not similar to someone who wants to overstay a visitor's visa.

Illegal immigrants are an entirely different situation.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Spain is an attractive propositon for many now prices have dropped. London, a mere 80$ plane ticket away is seeing prices rise and they are twice those of Spain at least.

International business people will choose Spain as a base if this attractive measure is introduced.

Golf is big business there and a pleasant climate, endless recrational opportunities, excellent health service, good infrastucture, high speed train links to Paris.

yapask1

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
If that becomes a new regulation, and that is doubtful, it is for people with 160,000 Euros to spend in what is becoming a disaster area. Not similar to someone who wants to overstay a visitor's visa.

Illegal immigrants are an entirely different situation.

Problem is, they were turning down actual tourists...A friend of mine was forced to take the flight back home because he didn't have 3000 euros cash with him (as you do). He was a legit tourist who's probably worth much more than the stupid officer who created the rule. He lost all the money spent in the flight and late cancel fees for car and hotel reservation. Spain has a third world country's mentality trying to live a first world country fantasy. Time to wake up.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Problem is, they were turning down actual tourists...A friend of mine was forced to take the flight back home because he didn't have 3000 euros cash with him (as you do). He was a legit tourist who's probably worth much more than the stupid officer who created the rule. He lost all the money spent in the flight and late cancel fees for car and hotel reservation. Spain has a third world country's mentality trying to live a first world country fantasy. Time to wake up.

I have never been to Spain, but that 3,000 Euro Cash requirement sounds like it is aimed at those who live in poor countries with a reputation of overstaying visitor's visas. Is that true? Or do they check every visitor to make sure they have $3,000 euros on them?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
They never checked me! Immigration works extremely fast, just a quick look at your passport and that's it. The last time I went there I had a Chinese sailor in front of me at immigration's who didn't speak Spanish at all and very poor English, nobody gave him a hard time or checked how much money he had on him. Spain is a very modern country with excellent transportation, highways, medical facilities ect..

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I have never been to Spain, but that 3,000 Euro Cash requirement sounds like it is aimed at those who live in poor countries with a reputation of overstaying visitor's visas.

Yeah, probably. But that's what visas are for. If you for any reason distrust people from certain countries, enforce visas issued from consulate in home country. My friend was from Argentina, and they were not required visa to enter Spain. I bet now they are more than willing to receive those same tourists. I feel bad for people in Spain, and I hope their situation improves soon. We already have a few economic refugees in DR, who overstay their visitor's visa. I just wish they were required 3,000 euros cash or be turned back...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yeah, probably. But that's what visas are for. If you for any reason distrust people from certain countries, enforce visas issued from consulate in home country. My friend was from Argentina, and they were not required visa to enter Spain. I bet now they are more than willing to receive those same tourists. I feel bad for people in Spain, and I hope their situation improves soon. We already have a few economic refugees in DR, who overstay their visitor's visa. I just wish they were required 3,000 euros cash or be turned back...

It appears that the Spanish immigration officers have the same power as they do in the US where they have absolute power to refuse entry regardless of the need for a visa or visa status if you need one.

The DR's new immigration laws are going to have an effect on the number of indigent settling in the DR.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Resident in Spain for 20 years, I've never heard of anyone short of murderers being turned away from the doors. A €3000 entry requirement sounds like balony, being that the most attracted to Spain are young, looking for a years doss around. The tourists Spain attracts are the bottom of the ladder as far as wealth goes, you can book a weeks holiday typically for ?200, less infact. Spain stepped in the poop 30 years ago when it got greedy and over developed its own coastline, it is now the most ugly costing in Europe. It over welcomed foreigners especially, drove its own people out of thief own towns, crushed confidence in its own people, took a lot of expats rights away from them, ripped a lot of people off, lost confidence in foreign investment, no one in their right mind would purchase property in Spain after the BS they pulled over the last 15 years.
Spain is even now being evacuated by the Eastern European community, made enough money to go home and start up work on their own countries. Spain? Investment? Haha!!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Resident in Spain for 20 years, I've never heard of anyone short of murderers being turned away from the doors. A €3000 entry requirement sounds like balony

It seems the baloney is quite spread by now:

Argentinos sufren demoras para ingresar a Espaa

I'll translate some parts:

Acreditaci?n de medios econ?micos suficientes para solventarse la estada en Espa?a. Cuando ?sta sea menor a nueve d?as deber? ser de 561,60 euros por persona, si es superior, se deber?n justificar 62,40 euros por d?a y por persona.

Show enough money to support yourself in Spain. When the stay is shorter than 9 days, you have to show 561,60 per person, if longer than 9 days, 62.40 euros per day of stay. (if you're going to stay 30 days, you'll need almost 2,000 euros per person, 4,000 if couple)

Acreditar una reserva para un viaje organizado o una reserva de alojamiento. En caso de haber sido invitado por alg?n familiar o amigo, una carta de invitaci?n escrita por quien invita y certificada en la comisar?a m?s cercana al domicilio del invitante (el costo de la certificaci?n es de 101 euros).

Show reservation for an organized travel or lodging. If you were invited by a friend or relative show a certified invitation letter (certification costs 101 euros)

nordique

Apr 6, 2012
Yeah, probably. But that's what visas are for. If you for any reason distrust people from certain countries, enforce visas issued from consulate in home country. My friend was from Argentina, and they were not required visa to enter Spain. I bet now they are more than willing to receive those same tourists. I feel bad for people in Spain, and I hope their situation improves soon. We already have a few economic refugees in DR, who overstay their visitor's visa. I just wish they were required 3,000 euros cash or be turned back...[/Q

unfortunately for your friend who came from Argentina,i believe it was an act of retaliation from Spain's government for the privatization of a Spain petroleum by the Argentina's government,this's the reason i think that he get turn away at the border for.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
My brother owns a vacation home in Spain.

I cannot say anything about the 3,000 euro requirement, as he and I are Belgians, and we fly or drive across the border with hardly a check (most of the time, when driving, you do not even have to stop).

Having said that, my brother has the house in what used to be a nice small village at the coast. He used to have all amenities, but now all streetlights are out, he regularly has no electricity, etc... He also says the prices for food, etc... skyrocketed, and the price of his house went into free fall. Also a lot of the restaurants, and shops, which made the place attractive had to close their doors.

Luckily enough he can wait till prices go up again.

Relocation to Spain, atm? Not a very good idea, unless you are loaded, can make some cheap real estate investments, and have the dough to live and pay for high food prices.

BelgianK

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Spain I believe is trying to cut back on medical tourism - people who come for free treatment for non critical conditions. Of course people who come from UK, Belgium etc. are not motivated to do this since there is comprehensive medical health schemes in those countries. About 50 euros a day sounds reasonable to cover living expenses. It is normally covered by a valid credit card shown at the border if in doubt.

People are taking advantage of the current downturn in prices. I sold my place in Spain 6 years ago.

yapask1

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Yeh, I've got friends trapped unable to give their place away, I can't see a time Spain will recover to any extent in my lifetime, it is a dump, even my own private paradise spots are ruined by something or other. It doesn't resemble anything that Spain, as in Spain we knew and loved represented some years ago.
Seems you have a good sense for timing yappy, 6 years I would say would be the absolute limit for getting out with the clothes on your back.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Some parts are better than others. But some areas of the US are affected too. Some condos in Florida have seen a 66% drop and have recently been on sale at 50-60 K dollars.
Florida Condos For Sale Under 50000Homes For Sale Winter Springs | Florida Real Estate

Fortunately many parts of the DR have held up well in price.

Many parts of Spain are unspoilt and are not a dump.

Old villages in particular.

The Best Small Towns and Villages in Spain at Frommer's

Rising in price now are parts of Historic France - e.g. area round Saint Malo.

In addition to DR France is now attracting many retirees.

yapask1

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Bulgaria is where the clever money goes right now. Ive been investing over the last year and picked up some dreamish property, it has everything from lazy goes **** head venues to mountain sports, the prices are just something you cant not take advantage of, not when you look at the rise in tourism and intertest for potential residents over recent years. Well, it is where my money is on, I feel somewhat slightly safer invested in an up and coming country that WILL end up like spain in 30 years (it is just how greedy somewhat poor countries react to money unfortunately), rather than Spain today, where the investment is lost, dead money, not even worth the thought.