Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A Word to the wise: read the story of La Sophy and El Chulo in Diario Libre

A lot of first world people get all sentimental and cozy with the fact that they have domestic help. "She is so good to us" is a phrase often heard.

Well people, please go to DiarioLibre.com - Portada and then click on DL English a little later this morning and read about La Sophy and her lover El Chulo. This is a blood chilling story of a murder which happened last week.

You need to read this as a lesson on the mentality of some people. Here is a pre-publication paragraph:

At this signal, Lourdes comes out and gets in the car. Then the argument began. The men with La Sophy proposed that they had to beat up the old people and the other domestic, which Lourdes opposed. In the face of this situation, they left the house and took Lourdes. On the way the argument got more heated and it was then that the men that El Chulo had found supposedly shot and killed Lourdes. Later, they threw her body in the bushes near the Mirador de Norte Park in Villa Mella.

Let this be a word to the wise.

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

2. Likes Squat, DavidZ liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    A lot of first world people get all sentimental and cozy with the fact that they have domestic help. "She is so good to us" is a phrase often heard.

Well people, please go to DiarioLibre.com - Portada and then click on DL English a little later this morning and read about La Sophy and her lover El Chulo. This is a blood chilling story of a murder which happened last week.

You need to read this as a lesson on the mentality of some people. Here is a pre-publication paragraph:

At this signal, Lourdes comes out and gets in the car. Then the argument began. The men with La Sophy proposed that they had to beat up the old people and the other domestic, which Lourdes opposed. In the face of this situation, they left the house and took Lourdes. On the way the argument got more heated and it was then that the men that El Chulo had found supposedly shot and killed Lourdes. Later, they threw her body in the bushes near the Mirador de Norte Park in Villa Mella.

Let this be a word to the wise.

HB
    Well, very truly pointed out. Folks, especially foreigners have sometimes no idea at all what possibilities for major trouble and danger they are inviting into their own home.
    For example, a couple of days ago a lesser intelligent member of this forum claimed proudly that he had three "Guys" put up Christmas tree lights for only US$30. He was so proud of his bargain while his blond kids were running around all over the place. All I could think of was that I hope the family will have the chance to experience Christmas with that tree at all....
    At one point both of my vehicles were out of order and I was forced to take santo Domingo public transportation. Do it one day if you want to hear hateful talk from Guachies and Sirventas.....even spiteful talk towards the children they are supposed to watch. BTW, it was a Dominican Sirventa that just killed two little kids in NYC because she was asked to do some minor cleaning......
    Also, four folks died in the above mentiomned incident in a horrible way for US$13,000......

4. Likes kampinge, KJS73 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

A word to the wise indeed. Greed has no bounds. I read about this crime a couple of days ago and the first thing that came to my mind was that the domestic servant was involved and now my suspicions have been confirmed. May they all rest in peace. No one deserves this. As for the perpetrators of such a heinous crime, wishing that they rot in hell is not enough. They need to suffer on earth first and then they can rot in hell after. Hopefully justice will be served, hopefully.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope this case can also serve as a warning to cleaning ladies everywhere, that they realize that foul play could turn against them and they could end up just like La Sophy.

7. Likes NotLurking, bronzeallspice liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Options for La Sophy

Quote Originally Posted by Aguaita29 View Post
    ... and they could end up just like La Sophy.
    We do not know what fate awaits La Sophy.
    Some jail sentence, I guess.
    Then there is the back door opened by money or she gets killed while in prison
    (again money plays a role there).

donP

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donP View Post
    We do not know what fate awaits La Sophy.
    Some jail sentence, I guess.
    Then there is the back door opened by money or she gets killed while in prison
    (again money plays a role there).

donP
    I meant they could end up like Lourdes, but anyway, I don't think any money is going to help La Sophy get out. The Police will want to make an example of her.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Always be mindful of who you hire. Ask lots of questions. Get references if possible. And treat them respect but remember they are still employees and not family or confidants. Sometimes I think that carcel de cuarenta should be brought back for special cases like these heinous crimes.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Africa is not that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
    ... remember they are still employees and not family or confidants.
    Even then...
    There is still a lot of Africa in Dominicans (not all, I know...).
    Read "Uhuru" by R. Ruark.

donP

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
    Always be mindful of who you hire. Ask lots of questions. Get references if possible. And treat them respect but remember they are still employees and not family or confidants. Sometimes I think that carcel de cuarenta should be brought back for special cases like these heinous crimes.
    When I'm in town a lady my mom uses for domestic services comes by to clean and wash clothes. This lady has been working with one of my mom's cousins for 26 years and EVEN THEN I don't trust her fully. Too many horror stories about hired help so I totally agree with your statement.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually I do not generalize people, but:

Not sure but it appears more and more to me that in Dominican society there is over proportional mischief compared to other nationalities. Be it corruption, lying, taking advantage of somebody else, jealousity, cheating etc. more than I experienced it in other countries I was. There is a very friendly facade, but...

Or I am under this impression b/c I just pay more attention to what happens compared to when I still lived in my home country. Not sure what it is...

I am leading an international team of some 20 people at my job. People from all over the world, Ukraine, Portugal, Morocco, Tunisia, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Korea and the Philippines. We hired three Dominicans about a year ago, guess whom I had to fire for cheating after about 6 month? Right, ALL 3 Dominicans*... Everybody else is happy to have a job and performs flawlessly. Says a lot, doesn't it? Of course there won't be any more hiring Dominicans. Makes me sad....

*All 3 "Cristianos" (No bashing intended...)

14. Likes mido liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast