Something to think about: Driving here and in an "educated" country

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Everyone who has ever tried to drive in the Dominican Republic knows that it is he!! on wheels. There is little or no regard for anyone else; there is a "this is my road" complex that is stupidly and wildly upheld by all.

Look at this video of what is an engineering feat to be admired but looking beyond that, notice that there is not one, single, bump in the GUARD RAILING! Nor is there a single piece of junk, rubbish, paper or plastic to be seen anywhere.

There is a lesson here folks....(And it IS really impressive and is now Norway's #2 tourist attraction)

La route norv?gienne de l’Atlantique | La boite verte

HB

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Great Video! If that was in the DR you would see big gaps in the guard rail where cars and trucks have broken through never to be seen again. Brugal and Presidente do not mix with narrow roads. Here is the DR the biggest vehicle has the right of way and the horn is king. Dominicans are so laid back in many things but put them behind the wheel and they turn into characters from a video game. For many there are no rules or courtesy shown to either other drivers or especially pedestrians. Crossing a road is a dangerous proposition.

LTSteve

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
nice, but isnt it really, really cold there ? And not a single palm tree!!

Drive a little more to the north, and you will not have sun at day time, this time of year.
In summer you can't sleep, because it won't get dark.

Norway has the almost biggest number of blonde single (drunk) females in the world!

Me ?
I love the Dominican roads because I rarely see old gringos driving at 30 MPH.

BTW: I drive like a Dominican:)

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
cold (around 3 months of summer) and expensive country... yet ranked #1 in Human Development Index
kebab costs around 20 usd heheh..and people are completely different than in DR heh too ;]

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Awesome video, road and engineering. Makes me want to go just for the drive!

Off topic? Your video had me remembering and thinking. In part the WHY are people NOT coming to the D.R. anymore?

I was in Thailand a few years ago for my brother in laws wedding. (he 55 and she 45... got it?) I was amazed that a country with close to the same socioeconomic's as the D.R., how good the roads were. Lanes painted, signs clear, guard railings and NO GARBAGE. I walked around Bangkok for a couple of days and never had a problem crossing a street. I quickly noticed that every muffler was a working muffler. Not only quite but NO fumes belching and polluting the air. As a smoker, I quickly had a problem while walking around.... I dare NOT throw my cig butt on the ground and could not find a garbage can anywhere on the street so the butt went back into the cig pack. While doing a lot of walking, NO one jumped out in front of me or grabbed my arm to yank me into their store and the ones that I did enter I was not harrassed, someone was always around watching to see IF I had a question or needed help.

I had even wondered into the designated and contained Red Light area while walking around. I didn't even know it until I noticed photos in the windows of what was available inside but out of view. A few times men would try to show me the ?complete? menu but did so with respect and withdrew when I shook my head no and I would receive a small bow, hands together while they backed away. In fact, I don't even recall seeing the inside of one bar from the street. No one begging except for an occasional Monk. They would stop about 8 feet away, head down and holding a small bowl with both hands and never said a word. I learned that I had to go over the the Monk and could give whatever I wished or not. But never touch or try to speak with them. My gift in the bowl, my slight bow with hands together and a ?sawatdee? would get me a smile and the Monk would go on his way.

Going up North to Phitsanulok and meeting up with my brother in law, I saw the same; good roads and not one speck of garbage anywhere. We took two day driving trips up to the Laos boarder visiting the amazing temples that looked brand new but are hundreds of years old. So clean, so well kept and so amazing that no one talked with more then a whisper. Clean, organized, gracious and respectful.

When I returned to my home here in the D.R., I just shook my head. I swear that my head has become more like a ?bobble head? on the dashboard over the years.

But being in the D.R., we are not some 30 hours flying to our work, family and at times needed medical and shopping in the U.S. Our home is here and we adapt.... even with the shaking of our heads.