Water

shunch

Nov 21, 2012
Hi all, is it safe to cook or make coffee with tap water or should we be using bottled?

Thanks
shunch

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depends on where you are going to be.

I have lived here for 50 years and use tap water for cooking and batheing and have raised 11 kids this way. But I live in Santiago, perhaps one of the better managed cities. I am not sure what I would do in cities along the coast.

La Vega has excellent water available but I don't know about their system. Mao used to be fantastic, the same as Moncion and SaJoMa.

HB

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
I also have questions:

Does the tap water have cholera in it or not true or depends?

I was planning on using a filtered water bottle to drink but now not sure.. I think everyone's immune system & tolerance is different but I drank coffee made from tap water & was fine (made from that Dominican coffee maker).

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Why risk drinking anything but bottled water, even for coffee, when you can purchase 5 gallon bottles from 25-50 pesos. For cleaning and cooking things like pasta, where you are boiling it first, tap is fine. Bathing and brushing teeth is a personal preference, Ive never had an issue using tap water, same for cleaning veggies...

I don't think you have to worry much about Cholera right now, but when in doubt....it's better to be safe than (very) sorry...

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Unless you are on a deep well and have had the water tested then use tap water for flushing toliets and little else. Bottled water here in the Sosua/Cabarete area is 30 pesos for a 5 gal jug. I mean for 75 cents why even take a chance????

Bob K

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I use tap water for cooking anything that will be boiling for a while. I wouldn't use it on a Ramen soup but I'd use it for boiling plantains, pasteles en hoja, etc.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
everyones system is different i realize,we drink bottled, cook brush teeth with tap, ocassionally i drink tap when lazy,i have drank water from the mountains also.if you have to ask drink bottled and you will be fine.i never have been sick on water. not even in mexico either even though other people did on same water.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
If you let your water come to boil and then let it boil for a few minutes it is ok. A coffee maker does not get the water temperature high enough, long enough to be safe. If you are here on vacation use bottled water.

LTS