ebay like shipping free shipping

dom

Jun 1, 2011
i would like to be able to sell stuff on ebay from the DR, question is, how could i manage the shipping at a REASONABLE rate ?
on ebay many sellers offer flatrate shipping or even FREE shipping, how could i archive that ?

fedex, ups and co are out of question, cuz of ridiculous rates

thanks for any help

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you have to ship from here and are selling small items, in other words not bulk shipping, I don't think there is a way to ship that is not going to add more to the total cost than if you were in the US shipping to a US address.

You need to look for things to sell that are in such high demand that buyers are willing to pay the higher shipping cost.

Shipping costs to the US have been discussed many times on DR1. I don't recall anybody coming up with a way of shipping at a low price.

Or plan your sales for when you are going to be in the US so you can carry the items in your suitcase and ship from there.

I don't think sellers anywhere really ship free. they just figure shipping cost in the price of the articles they are selling

dom

Jun 1, 2011
the thing is i have a product that i can sell at a much lower price then us competition can offer.
high shipping price would destroy this advantage.

what about the dominican mail services, ipostdom or something it is called, does anyone have experience with them ?

im talking more about smaller shipments, in the max range of about 2 to 3 pounds per package.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
shipping will always ruin good profit. I ran on online performance parts business for 7 years. I stayed away from ebay. ate too much profit. There is no free shipping at all. many people still believe it like they are getting a deal. Sometimes we actually did free shipping and sold at cost or very little profit. People just want everything as low as they can get it and still want perfect quality and customer service . You are not going to find any reasonable shipping to or from usa. Or what most people in world consider reasonable. I pay more because i know what it costs to ship.
it does not surprise me. My daughter is an attorney here in santaigo and they have offices in Miami. small things we ship using them as they fly back and forth about every week and will forword it from miami to anywhere. We ship large items like welding machines by boat..

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
i have heard theft is a problem with the DR postal system with small items, i have not had a problem with it , so far

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There really is no great option for shipping from the DR for smaller items. I suspect the reason is not enough demand for such services to create a reasonable business for this so you are at the mercy of a shipping market without competition that could drive down the price. .

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
i have heard theft is a problem with the DR postal system with small items, i have not had a problem with it , so far

If you use their express mail there shouldn't be a problem. What is being sent is insured. You can't seal the package until after the postmaster checks to be sure you are actually sending what you claim. This is more expensive than sending regular mail from the DR, but much faster, safer, and much more reliable.

Feb 7, 2007
If you use their express mail there shouldn't be a problem. What is being sent is insured. You can't seal the package until after the postmaster checks to be sure you are actually sending what you claim. This is more expensive than sending regular mail from the DR, but much faster, safer, and much more reliable.

Faster, yes.... The Dominican way.

I sent EMS* envelope to Europe. From the US, normal transit time for EMS is 3 business days, regular airmail is about a week.

From the DR ... EMS ... over 3 weeks, regular airmail...hmm... a year?

*EMS is Express Mail Service from postal services worldwide, and is meant to compete with Fedex-like services, at cheaper cost.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Running a business dependant on the Dominican Postal Service will be as succesful as opening a Convent next to Fat Herman's bar in Sosua.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
Running a business dependant on the Dominican Postal Service will be as succesful as opening a Convent next to Fat Herman's bar in Sosua.
don't you just love how it is. their would be no way a seller could keep a 100% rating unless he placed a disclaimer on the shipping. i love it when they tell you to come back while we figure out what you owe jajajajaaj

Wigan

Jun 22, 2011
Maybe instead of trying with eBay, have a close look at Amazon. With their Fulfilment by Amazon scheme, you could bulk send your goods to their warehouse and let them deal with picking and packing in US.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
i never really had much luck ith amazon.you still have to give it away at prices too low. you have all these people working out of a rental warehouse or drop ship and it is too hard to make money. belive me i sold on line for over seven yeras