Questions about inverter

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
I just brought new batteries for my inverter and installed a switch, which allow me to choose either use the inverter or use our own projects? power which is back up by their generator. Our project may have one or two break out a day and each time it will take a second or two for the generator to kick in.

I am thinking to switch the inverter system off when I am away, and just let it run on the project power. My question is:

By switching off the inverter system will it shorten my batteries? life because they are not being charged while the system is off? Or I should just keep the system on even I am away for 6 months so the batteries are being charged so it will last longer.

May 29, 2006
If you disconnect part of the invertor, you should disconnect the batteries completely. This will prevent them from draining on their own. If you let the batteries fully discharge and stay discharged for months, they can fail completely.

It's the same as when you put a car into storage; you disconnect the batteries so they can't discharge over time through a ground wire.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Even disconnected, fully charged batteries will suffer because they discharge internally. 6 months of being disconnected is probably enough time to cause them damage.

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
So, what should I do? Keep in charge and run the inverter even when I am away for 6 months? Or disconnect them?

I am just trying to make them last longer......

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Leave the batteries connected and the inverter running. If you're away battery consumption will be pretty low, which means those batteries will be in pretty good shape. There are hardly any blackouts where I live (I know, lucky bastard), and my inverter is always connected but hardly ever kicks in. Batteries are fine after 4 years...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you have a Trace DR series inverter or one that has a "search mode" you could turn off every thing in the house and set the inverter to search mode. That way if power goes off, the inverter will not actually turn on. When power is on, it will provide a low level float charge to keep the batteries topped off while minimizing power usage.

If your inverter does not have a search mode, it will just work normally when power goes off and use a little more power.

It is a tough call to decide if it is better to disconnect the batteries for a 6 month period.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
If you have a Trace DR series inverter or one that has a "search mode" you could turn off every thing in the house and set the inverter to search mode. That way if power goes off, the inverter will not actually turn on. When power is on, it will provide a low level float charge to keep the batteries topped off while minimizing power usage.

Oh boy! that's the kind of inverter I've had for years. I didn't know it had that feature. I should have RTFM! I'm now officially aplatanao

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'd take what windeguy said one step further, and unplug everything in the house, so the inverter is maintaining the batteries charged, but no consumption.

Your house is probably got a few things that consume electricity even when it's turned off.

Good Point JD. While the power consumption might be too low to start the inverter up when in search mode, those items like the new cable TV boxes used in Cabarete and many TVs, draw power in standby mode when there is power from the utility. Also you are protecting devices from power surges by unplugging them.