Under $3,000 Customs Info IMPORTANT

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I was in an EPS office this morning and had the girl call the main office to find out about the holiday Customs Policy.

It DOES NOT apply to shipped items. Only for a Dominican that has been out of the DR for six months or more, and must be brought in, not shipped.

So anyone ordering things on Black Friday the limit for no duty is still under $200 US. Also I was told that if you receive multiple packages the same day they add it up and if it is over the limit you pay duty.

I just received a cell phone I ordered from China. They put on the package Gift for $30 US. I never requested this as the phone was under 200 anyway. But I believe if sellers put lower prices on goods this may work also.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"Also I was told that if you receive multiple packages the same day they add it up and if it is over the limit you pay duty."

Never happened to me using VimenPaq. I received many packages same day never were added up despite being total value over 200 $.

Maybe I was just lucky...

Or customs does not check really but goes with what the forwarder declares as value for a shipment... which is usually less than the real amount...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good information. We just spoke moments ago to some family of my wife's in the US and they told us the only way it could be done via a courier is that the Dominican currently living in the US enters the DR and shows her passport to customs to get the exemption themselves.

As you found out the Christmas exemption does not apply to gifts sent via courier and door to door services to relatives and friends in the DR. At least we still have the under $200 US exemption.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"Also I was told that if you receive multiple packages the same day they add it up and if it is over the limit you pay duty."

Never happened to me using VimenPaq. I received many packages same day never were added up despite being total value over 200 $.

Maybe I was just lucky...

Or customs does not check really but goes with what the forwarder declares as value for a shipment... which is usually less than the real amount...

It would be difficult for customs to track those packages and add them up to see if they are over $200 in a given day. Lucky for us.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
It would be difficult for customs to track those packages and add them up to see if they are over $200 in a given day. Lucky for us.

In my case, it's always been ONLY if all items come in the same package and the sum of all invoices is higher than $200.
About the Gracia aduanal, yes, it only applies to dominican living abroad. However, anyone who's been to SDQ airport in december knows that the volume of passengers is so high that there is no way custom officers can do any kind of effective checking of baggage..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
As far as bringing things in at the airport, I have brought in all kinds of electronics, from desktop computers to TV's and never paid a dime.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As far as bringing things in at the airport, I have brought in all kinds of electronics, from desktop computers to TV's and never paid a dime.

Same here. In this case, we were thinking of a large item that could be brought in sent by a relative, but the regulation does not cover that.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
According to the NEWS (Which also was on DR1 a day or so ago)

Santo Domingo.- The Customs Agency (DGA) on Friday announced the traditional Christmas tax breaks for Dominicans who return from abroad for the December 1 to January 7 holiday period, and haven’t been in the country for the last six months.

Customs said Dominicans can bring tax free items and gifts worth up to US$3,000, and as an additional benefit they can ship their baggage by courier) or cargo, if cone within the grace period.

It said in those cases the gifts have to be retrieved directly by the citizens who visit the country during the holiday season, by presenting their passport and comply with the tax break’s requirements.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
According to the NEWS (Which also was on DR1 a day or so ago)

You believe everything you read on the Internet? It is false. Try it and let us know the results.

Just to add, EPS ships hundreds of packages daily to the DR. I think they would know what is happening. They said over $200 shipped you pay Customs.

Last edited: