An Observation

M

Meg

I started reading this board two months ago as I planned my first trip to the DR. Since then, I see Dominicans slamming the DR, I see some Americans Slamming the USA. I see nothing but Political Issues and very little informative posts that would help tourist or investors.
Some Dominicans write posts in a way that would scare the hell out of anyone thinking of investing in the DR. Why is that??

Investors HELP the economy no?.
I'm sure there are problems there. As in ALL parts of the world. I see people describing the slums in Santo Doming. Since when are the slums representative of the country. Is East los Angeles California? Is Harlem representative of New York City?
What amuses me the most is that some Dominicans living in the USA talk bad about BOTH countries.
I am A gringo who is planning on retireing to the DR. I could care less about poverty, hunger,prostitution etc. These things will not affect me.
I ask, is there a web site for the DR that is informative with perhaps just a tint of constructive critisisim. Thanx MEG

M

mike

You were planning your first trip to DR just two months ago and are already planning on retiring there. Something doesn't sound right about that to me.

G

Grahame Bush

My GOSH Matt - Now you've done it!!! Asking for sane & reasoned help advice on this board??? All the regular wingers will be on to you about not wearing rose coloured glasses etc. what the REAL Dominican Republic is, about all the poverty here & why you SHOULD be concerned about it rather than burying your head in the sand ..... I KNOW what you meant about it not being of DIRECT concern to you (you have concern & sympatico for those in poverty etc but this poverty will NOT DIRECTLY have an influence on your daily living standards!!). Gosh, now I have done it & will get a load of abuse.

In answer to your question re other sights, try looking up Debbie's page. I don't know the address but I am sure some kind contributor will help out.

See you shortly & take care - Grahame.

G

Grahame Bush

Re: www.debbiesdominicantravel.com

Thanks Christy, I KNEW I could rely on someone to help out my forgetfullness - must be senility setting in!!

R

rubio

well, i am an american, who owned a business in the DR. It really is a nation with great potential, but after the last president left office all my desire to conduct business in the country left with him. it is a place that needs a leader to change years of corruption and bad politics. unfortunately 4 years is not enough to change 50+ years of garbage. well made the next president will give me the confidence to invest in this beautiful island, but for now, no way. as for other sites check the link it may be helpful to you good luck

M

marionharshman

Good for you Grahame Bush
As an American from NYC who owns property and lives almost full time in the Dr and has worked there for almost 15 years, I wonder why all you negative people do not go home or someplace else.
Instead of this board being informative in a constructive way it appears to have been developed into a destructive form.

My husband and I have never experience your kind of problems. So it must be the lifestyle you other people are living. Please go home. Where ever that is.

The Harshmans Costambar

O

Onions and carrots

You could care less about the REAL social problems affecting the DR. You're the type of rednecks we don't need in the DR.Stay home with your crummy retirement or better yet go to Haiti since you think those REAL prblems are of no concern to you.In Haiti your dollar will go even further and you can look the other way at those insignificant human problems. The DR doesn't need anymore investors. We got too many already. Any of these posters that says they have never had any problems is a hypocrite.I love the DR but I also see the REALITY around me. It doesn't matter where you go in the DR unless you are going to stay in your hotel room cause the poverty and misery is evident everywhere.One last thing don't be so insensitive and have a little compassion for those around you.

M

Meg

Boy..did I open up a can of worms!!!! You should have warned me Graham!!! I can see that I did not make any friends with this post. Oh, well... Thanks Edwin. I've been to that site.. It's even worse than this one. I did not mean to sound insensitive to the people of the DR. I am concerned with the poverty as I would be with any other country. But it's not MY problem. I am just looking for a place to retire in a few years where my dollars go a little further than here in the USA.
I want to rest,sail,eat and drink maybe do a little Merenge that's all. Does this mean you'r not my buddy O & C ???
I again apologize to anyone I offended. Meg